Profile picture for asberaud

How can I appropriately fire my realtor?

I am in a ion tract, but in 30 days my house has been shown over 10 times. I always have to call her for feed back & ask what happen after 3 or four days. I am very displeased with the service that I am receiving. How do I terminate with contract with this realtor. I live in the state of Louisiana. Any advise would be helpful! Thanks!
  • October 02 2013 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for nealadler
Before you do that you might want to speak with the broker and some 'corrective feedback' may take care of the problem.  Your contract may prevent you from doing this.

As long as you don't have a contract i.e. an "exclusive right to sell" where the agent is entitled to a commission even if someone else sells it for you--I would try mutual consent. Talk with your agent and make him or her aware that you're unhappy with the service and if things don't change real soon, you'll take your business elsewhere.
If that doesn't work. Cancel the listing and start with a new broker.
If that fails, see if his broker can assign the listing to another agent in that office.
Last resort you could tell that broker you'll seek legal assistance to terminate the agency--that might be enough red flag to move things along with that office.
Good luck

In WI we have a form for "cancellation and mutual release."  
You should inform your realtor of your frustration.  Perhaps she will give you better service.  If you are still not getting results after your conversation, you can ask for whatever your state's version of the cancellation is.  

Profile picture for CallTheSisters
I can understand your frustration because you are anxious to hear what buyers have to say.

The reality we all face as agents is "confidentiality".  A buyers agent may not reveal anything the buyer said to them, to the sellers agent without their express permission.  That's the duty the agent owes to them.

Likewise your selling agent may not tell the buyers agent anything you have said that may weaken your negotiating position.  Even something as casual as "my seller is very anxious to get an offer - see what you can do with your folks". 

Some agents are not great communicators.  It's hard to convey to you that the buyers agent simply won't answer feedback requests.  The consumer thinks that communication between agents is a two way street. Often it is not.

Usually what I do is qualify my remarks.  I tell the listing agent that I cannot speak for the buyers but here is my feedback.  I then relay what my opinion as an agent is of the price, condition etc.  That usually gives them something to take back to the seller.

The easiest way to fire your agent is to call the agency's managing broker and give a step by step description of how your agent hasn't performed to your satisfaction, and how the promises that were originally set forth in the contract weren't kept. Then politely request for a new agent from the brokerage, subject to your approval, be assigned to the listing.
Just firing the agent cold can end up poorly, as your listing may be pulled, but the contract regarding the brokerage's commission can still be in effect during the rest of the contract period, unless the managing broker gives you a full release from it. There could even be a scenario if you sold using another agent prior to the expiration date of the previous listing agreement that you could owe commissions to both brokerages.
Getting a signed full release from the managing broker is imperative.

Profile picture for Neeraj Jassal
It would depend what is written in your contract.  You may not be able to terminate that easily despite your displeasure with your agent's level of service.

Perhaps an alternative would be to convey (in writing) your thoughts to your agent.  If your agent was made aware of his/her shortcomings and what you, as a consumer, needed to be satisfied, maybe he or she would realize that your needs are not being met.  If that fails, you could potentially speak with the broker of record or whoever manages the office.