Profile picture for veganista21

How can I find out if my home is in foreclosure and up for Sale/Auction?

I received a letter in the mail from the Judicial Sales Corp stating my home was now in foreclosure and is up for auction sale. How do I find out the truth if this is so. I get bombarded by mail solicitation from attorneys, I don't know what to do. I'm not getting much assistance from my Mortgage lender.  How do I find out if my home is up for auction? What are my rights? I am in the Chicago land area. Please advise. Thank you.

September 03 2011 - Westchester

Your municipality should publish this information.  Check their website. There should also be a listing published in your local newspaper prior to the auction.

Profile picture for krist170151
I used [website removed by Zillow moderator] and it worked pretty good. It was cheap and they emailed me when and where the autcion was. It was nice not having to go to a realtor or get charged by a lawyer.

1) For the letters you receive from attorneys,  I would save them and send them to your local bar association.
Attorneys have a professional code they are not allowed to send solicitation to your home without you first contacting them.

2) If you are receiving any type of solicitation that is Scare Tactic Based you should either send that to your local Real Estate Board or the Federal Trade Commission.

Some realtors trustee firms send out postcards that are obnoxious.

They do not include necessary disclosures nor do they say if you actually have a sales date or not.

Any letter you receive should say on the envelope from an attorney that it is an Advertisement.

Realtor is required to let you know they are not working with your lender or the government if they are offering foreclosure prevention or Loan Modification services.

Your states laws may be different but what I do know is the FDCPA does not allow debt collectors to send post cards about 3rd party debt why then can realtors send post cards with 19 Point   Your home is in foreclosure for your children to read????

There are all regulations and any one sending advertisements to your home needs to follow them.

Go to the county's website ( County where your house belongs ) then go to Public trustee's site, then go to foreclosure property search, then type your prop info, it will pop up all info related to your foreclosure. Other way call your Lien Holder and ask for status of your account, that simple!..

The phrase "qualify for..." should be excised from the loan modification process. It gives the false impression that the lender is required to provide a loan modification - or principal reduction - to "qualified" homeowners.

In reality, "eligible for..." should be substituted for "qualified for...". The ultimate decision for any loan modification is with the lender - and nothing in the various government programs has a true forcing function.

btw...

"California Business and Professions Code, Section 6126. (a) Any person advertising or holding himself or herself out as practicing or entitled to practice law or otherwise practicing law who is not an active member of the State Bar, or otherwise authorized pursuant to statute or court rule to practice law in this state at the time of doing so, is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in a county jail or by a fine of up to one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment. Upon a second or subsequent conviction, the person shall be confined in a county jail for not less than 90 days, except in an unusual case where the interests of justice would be served by imposition of a lesser sentence or a fine. If the court imposes only a fine or a sentence of less than 90 days for a second or subsequent conviction under this subdivision, the court shall state the reasons for its sentencing choice on the record."

Profile picture for workabee
Hold the presses. Let's all listen to the "not legal advice" from the self proclaimed short sale attorney...NOT. What a crock.

Hi Nicole,

Just curious, why do you only mention short sales and not letting the client know if they qualify to keep their home?

This is the exact reason I work for an attorney.   I believe any home owner in distress deserves to know if they qualify to keep their home. It is the realtors fiduciary duty  to do what is best for the client.  The calculations are fairly easy to figure out if the home owner can get a mod, or principal reduction.

If the home is underwater by 115% or more they may qualify for a principal reduction if that is requred to get their payments to 31% of their gross income.  

JoAnna Jensen
Volo Law / Legal Realty
** Not legal advice, 

HI,

YOU SHOULD CONTACT YOUR LENDER TO FIND OUT IF THERE IS A DATE SET FOR AUCTION.ALSO, IF YOU ARE IN FORECLOSURE, YOU SHOULD CONSIDER DOING A SHORT SALE RATHER THAN DEFAULT ALL TOGETHER.
IF YOU WOULD LIKE MORE INFORMATION ON WHAT A SHORT SALE IS AND HOW IT COULD HELP YOU, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO GIVE ME A CALL AT [phone removed by Zillow moderator]
I HAVE EXPERIENCE WORKING WITH THE BANKS ON SHORT SALES AND THIS MAY EVEN BUY YOU A LITTLE TIME BEFORE THEY DECIDE TO PUT YOU AOUT OF YOUR HOME.

SINCERELY,
NICHOLE LATHUS
MCCOLLY REAL ESTATE

You should know if your in default.  If you havent paid your mortgage for a few months you should be getting a letter of acceleration soon, following by a notice of default then notice of sale.

You can always call your lender to find out if there is a sale date. 

If this is from the lender/servicer you should get the notice sent to you certified. 

There are new FTC rullings that say anyone who solicits a home owner in default offering to help them avoid foreclosure is required to include disclosures.  You can find these disclosures on www.FTC.gov/mars  (Mortgage Assistance Reflief Servicemember). 

Additionally you could turn these soliciters in to consumer protection agencies such as the FTC.  Some firms will solicit home owners for short sales.  

You are right to be wary of all the scam lawyer contacts,   however, it would be useful to initiate a contact with a local real estate attorney to get a brief review of your rights. 

Your lender should be able to confirm whether or not your house is now in foreclosure.  What other help do you wish from them? 

As you aren't questioning this, I'm assuming you've not paid your mortgage for a while.  If my assumption is not correct, then please comment.