Profile picture for chiku1

How can I fire my real estate agent?

I have a house that I've rented out for the past few years and have used a management company to collect the rent. The company's contract had a clause that if I decided to sell the house during this time they would have the first option to sell it for me.  I decided to sell the house last year and interviewed one of their agents. He gave me some prices that he thought the house could sell for. Later when filling out the paperwork I called him and asked for a comparative market analysis. Well, this seemed to start a problem. It took him 6 weeks for him to finally email me copies of homes that had sold in my area. But there was no cover sheet with a suggestion, in writing, what he thought the house was worth. So I decided to go with a price he had mentioned during our interview. I filled out the contract and mailed it to him. He contacted me to let me know he received the package and then again I didn't hear from him.
After I had called him a few times asking for a status he finally called me back in early December and said things were slow around Christmas but then things would pick back up. That's the last I've heard from him despite my calling him and leaving messages. I see that he finally listed the house in late January, but he used a picture from 2004 on the listing, before I purchased the house. And the lot sized he listed is less than half of what it actually is. He's listed no good qualities about the house, or proximity to any amenities. Two weeks ago I contacted the President of the company about the situation and asked him to place me with another agent but I haven't heard anything back from anyone. 

• March 17 2014 - Washington
  • 0

Profile picture for JoshBarnettREIB
Review the agreement that will be cancelled and follow the guidelines set out within the agreement. 

Profile picture for chiku1
Thank you all for your suggestions. I will definitely start on this immediately. I will let the D.C. Real estate Commission know about this situation. And I'll write a letter to the Management/Real Estate Co. letting them go because you're right I definitely shouldn't use another of their agents. I checked my contract and I don't know how I missed it but I accidently left the "listing period" blank. This is a serious mistake on my part. But I also noticed the contract says they have to have the house listed in 48 hours, they took 10 weeks to do this. I will also file complaints with the MLS & BBB.
Again thank you all for extremely good information.

Profile picture for Vikram Deol MBA
WOW! There are so many places that this situation has fallen apart but you need to go in to the company and deliver them a letter stating the issues. How long did you sign your contract for? what is the listing expiration date? Do you have a good attorney? Call the MLS and file a complaint as well as the dept. of licensing and BBB.  If you are in WA. please call me and I can try to help you out. Sounds like a horrible company and agent and they are costing you $$  by not having your home listed correctly.

Thanks for posting your question on Zillow.com & sorry for your troubles.

Go to the local Realtor board or BBB.

Good luck.

It doesn't sound like the main focus of this Real Estate Management company is the same as one that cone that concentrates on Home Sales. I would get another Broker to sell your property. I would interview more then one.

Your patience is astonishing. I suggest asking your attorney if they will defend your moving on in spite of this contract, and if so, do so.

Chiku1,

First, I am sorry you are having this issue. That having been said, I think you need to contact the Washington Real Estate Commission and file a compliant against the Broker of the company. You are now escalating the matter to get the action you should have received from a real estate professional. Regrettably, once the State of Washington Real Estate Commission gets involved you will get some action.
TJ McCormack, CRS

It sounds like your agent, as well as the broker, are in violation of their contract with you.  You should contact your local Real Estate Board or association to find out what local regulations require.  Also, what is the expiration date of the contract? It might have already expired.

I would definitely recommend not getting another agent from the same firm, but hiring a different brokerage altogether.  If you would like, you could contact me privately and I can refer someone to you in the local area who will treat you right.