Profile picture for calnorsk

How can I get Zillow to reconsider thier estimate of my home's value?

My house is showing at 105 per square feet, and other houses in the neighborhood are at 130+ per square foot.  Why such a descrepancy?  This makes my house look way overpriced.
  • March 07 2011 - Dublin
  • 0

Have you logged in and claimed your listing as the owner, and made sure all the information is correct?

If all your information is correct, keep in mind that Zestimates are for entertainment purposes only.  

I am a flat fee MLS Broker member of the Columbus Central Ohio Multiple Listing Service, and most sellers sell for a much different price than what Zillow zestimates.  And does the low Zillow estimate hurt the sale?  Not at all.  Doe the buyer see Zillow's number and use it to negotiate?  No.  Zillow just isn't that popular, and it has zero credibility among professionals for indicating the market value.

For example, we just had a seller a few miles south of you accept an offer for 20k over the Zestimate. Did the buyer mention the difference? No. I would guess that fewer than 2% of home buyers have used Zillow, ever.

So definitely don't lose any sleep over Zillow, it is a rough, mathematical model. Remember, even Zillow admits that over 1 and 4 of its listings are wildly inaccurate (see this page)

I hope this helps. Thanks.

Zestmates are calculated by a computer from multiple data feeds without human intervention.   Don't be concerned about it - it is not a true market value of your home and should never be considered as such on any property.   It's an idea of area values from recent sales but is by no means totally accurate.