Profile picture for sfw8

How can I get a Zillow expert to reconsider the posted value of my home?

Last spring, Zillow spontaneously erased my home's Zestimate data pertaining to the period from November 2005 through February 2010. Thereafter, it began dropping the Zestimate for my home, from $298k (early 2010) to $184k (today).

This is at variance with professional opinion on my home, nearby sales data for similar and similarly well-maintained homes, and the way Zillow handles an extremely similar (next-door) home of similar style and size.

Specifically, several pieces of evidence indicate that Zillow's [mis-]handling of my property's value is problematic:
1- I just refinanced (December 2011) and was appraised at $252k;
2- The next-door-neighbor's house appraises on Zillow (today) for $239k. It is extremely similar: we share a driveway, lot size, and architectural style; were built in the same year; and have similar floor plans, although the neighbor's house is 200 ft^2 larger than mine, which is significant for a 2BR/1BA. (On the other hand, my home has some recent updates, such as new windows, kitchen floor, etc.)
3- My house appraises for $239k on RealQuest (while the next-door-neighbors come in at $256k). And between RealQuest and Zillow, professionals seem to think far more highly of the former.

Can someone please rectify the situation?
Or remove my Zestimate altogether?? (since the deletion of 5 years of data seem to be downwardly biasing it...)

Thanks!, best,
Disgruntled with Zillow

February 03 2012 - Newton Booth

Whats your address ? We can help you figure out the problem...

PS. Zillow doesnt APPRAISE home, appraisers do. Nor does RealQuest.

February 03 2012
Profile picture for sfw8
In response to "Tug of War", below-- I don't have quarrels with honest estimates being posted, but when Zillow deletes 5 years of data and then my property "value" behaves in a manner completely inconsistent with the comparable property next door, I would prefer that Zillow just go ahead and delete *all* of my data, as Zillow's Zestimates that are based on incomplete datasets appear, at least in this case, fatally flawed.

That said, it doesn't matter much. When we move, we will sell the house for what (by definition) it is "worth."

February 03 2012
Profile picture for Dunes ..
Remove it?..

Here's what the CEO of Zillow said recently about removing the Zestimate

"Regarding why we don't let owners opt their home out of Zestimates: we believe that providing home valuations, as imperfect as they might sometimes be, is in the public interest.

Access to this type of information benefits the overall market, and frankly if real estate data including Zestimates had been more readily available in the 2003-2006 bubble era (which was pre-Zillow), perhaps we wouldn't be paying the price today in our overall economy. Information empowers people to make smarter decisions."

(LINK)

Lucky us...Lucky You ;)

February 03 2012
Why do you care? Everybody knows Zillow is not an accurate estimate of value. Why don't you ignore it?

February 03 2012