How can I get a mortgage with a short sale of the old house

I had a lot of problems with my old neighbors harassing my kids so we had to short sale the house, I was up to date in my payments except for one which the short sale lawyer tolled us to do to be able to qualify for a short sale, so now I'm wondering how long I would need to wait to get a mortgage, any help will be greatly appreciated
  • April 22 2013 - US

You got to wait 2 yrs according to my lender.

whywaittobuy:  Are you a professional?   You may wish to get a professional tag on your Zillow profile.  

A trick to effective posting is to check the date of the original post. 

There are owners who have had a foreclosure or short sale years ago who just got approved to buy a new home. Nowadays, many lenders have flexible loan programs that you can  take advantage of. Visit an expert in your area to see if you qualify. You can also search online.

2 years after the short sale you may qualify with 20% down.