Profile picture for siskell888

How can I get my husband name off house to avoid selling after divorce

After my husband walked out on me I fell behind in my mortgage and had to do a loan modification. But now in order to keep my home as part of the divorce settlement I have to get my husband name off the house but I can not get refinance because of the loan modification . Is there anything I can do to get his name off
  • November 08 2013 - Baltimore
  • 0

Best Answer

Be careful here,  a Quit Claim Deed only removes his name from the title, but not the mortgage. If for any reason you get behind on payments or default on the mortgage, the bank can come after him for payments and that can get ugly fast!

Check with your lender, since you aren't able to refinance. Some lenders are able to do a loan modification or restructure in situations like yours. 

Profile picture for RealEstateCrew
Check with your attorney, but your husband should be able to QCD his right to the property to you.  

There are two things that you must achieve:

1.  He has to agree that you get the house, and sign a quit claim deed.

2.  Before he signs the quit claim deed, you have to refinance in your own name.    If you are blocked there, you may be able negotiate a different approach with your attorney in the divorce, but ultimately you have to be qualified financially to get his name off the loan.