Profile picture for cdiehlky

How can I obtain financing for investment properties?

I currently have 4 mortgages (principIe residence plus 3 rental properties).  I have excellent credit and adequate cash for large down payments; however, lenders are telling me that I can only have 4 mortgages at one time.  How can this be overcome? I have several investment properties that I would like to purchase.
  • June 10 2010 - Florence
  • 0

I was in same exact situation a month ago. Old Fannie and Freddie guidelines used to be no more than (4) mortgaged properties, however that was changed a few years back. A lot of the bigger banks decided to stay with the more restrictive 4 but a lot of lenders should still be able to find you someone to finance up to 10.  Good luck.

John J Mondello Jr, Realtor

All that you need to do is find someone in your state like us in CA. I gave you my suggestion on 6/11.

You don't need a hard money loan, nor do you need a partner..... Happy funding, Rudi

Brokers are the way. Maryland and Virgina have been in the top incomes for decad & have many Borkers that will help.You can go to a website on my profile. James(Contributor) had a good idea also with adding a partner.You may need to be a developer or a Real Estate Compoany to keep personal and company asset seperated.This is find the right people or Broker team so they are looking for you.

You may not qualify for a conventional loan, but you need to be careful if you decide to go with a hard money lender. You can get more information on the basics of borrowing from "investors" here, but I would advise caution.

I may have a solution for you!! There are an a abundance of private investors willing to help!! Look around

Speak with a few large mortgage brokerages or small local or regional banks and credit unions. We have a few portfolio lenders that allow unlimited  amount of financed properties. This is a product you will not find at major banks. Sorry, I'd love to help you, but we only lend in  CA.  .... Happy funding, Rudi

We have a few lenders that will finance investors with more than 4 (or 10) mortgages, however then loans only apply to our investment opportunites in the Atlanta and Memphis markets, if that's of interest.

Marco Santarelli
.

Profile picture for numberonereo
as Nic said you usually can have up to 10 loans under your name.

I currently have an investor right now with 4 under his name and he is going for one more.

I understand that you have great credit and a large down payment, but does the total combined debt to income allow for you to get one more?

I believe lenders can only count 75% of the rental income on your rentals.

I would recommend giving Dana Muse A call at Lafranchi Lending, She is the one that has done 4 loans for one of my clients and I currently have approval for a 5th home for that client though her.

It doesn't hurt to give a call and see what she says. Or send me an email.

shes also a lender here on zillow.

Talk to other lenders.  One of the agencies allow for up to 10 so you just need to find a lender that knows what he is talking about.

Profile picture for ABBAUSA

The mortgage industry is in the doldrums.

The banking industry is depressed.

Adding real estate loans to a weak portfolio is not good business.

Seek private investors.

James Callas - Realtor®