How can I tell how old my house is

• May 18 2014 - Columbus
  • 0

You can find this information on an appraisal report if you have a recent one. Otherwise check your county website and this should be accurate.

Profile picture for Blue in d Nile
Start with the "year built" info on the home details page for the address on Zillow.  Make sure you use the "see data sources" to look at the "right column" to see county records data.  Zillow also often has a link to the county records website on the home details page, so you can use that, to see if it may have been torn down and something new built.

If it was built prior to 1900, some counties may not keep accurate records on those.  In that case, it may be necessary to look for other signs of a date, such as materials used, or a date stamped onto an item that may not have been changed in a long time (toilet, heater, fire-place grate, exterior door locks, exterior door hinges cast iron drain pipe, electrical boxes, heater or stove vent pipe flanges...)

You might also try the local library for older reversible phone books, and possibly a local historic society for newspaper clippings and photos.

County records and local building department have very good records on mine; built 1913, substantial addition and remodel in 1924, heater replacement in 1950, addition in 1978, foundation replacement and bolting in the 1990's.  In 1924 there was a property merge and division, changing the orientation of the front of the house.  The other houses were torn down and 3 new houses were built on the newly created parcels.  It appears the original potbelly stove in the living room was removed in the 1920's, but there was still evidence of it until the 1990's.

Profile picture for BungalowMo
According to the real estate listing, they said my place was built in 1940-something.  I knew that wasn't right.

I went to the county courthouse & ran a deed search.  It was too soon for my info to be in the system yet, so I started with the seller.  Mine went all the way back to the land owner splitting up the land for a subdivision in 1914.  My place was actually built between 1914 & 1918, so I just say 1916.

Your records might be at your town hall, courthouse, or any such local government building.  Ask at any of these places & they can tell you where to go.

County tax records usually show it.