Profile picture for aninkling

How can I use Zillow to evaluate whether or not to appeal my property tax reassessment?

I am looking for a set of instructions: 1, 2, 3, ...  I can imagine that I can look at recently sold houses, but I think I need more than that. 
  • October 25 2010 - Landrum
  • 0

This topic was covered in greater detail in a response to an October 17 Zillow question from Ritashrink of Teaneck, NJ, "Can I Use Zillow's Information on My Home to Fight My Assessment?"

I recommend NOT using Zillow to evaluate whether or not to appeal your tax assessment but to instead:

1. Review comparable sales of similar properties to yours from Zillow, other online sources, or your favorite real estate agent. BE SURE the comparable sales took place before the effective date for the assessment, as CharlesAWalsh correctly pointed out; and

2. Contact your local assessor to get a set of instructions (step 1, 2, 3, etc.) on hoe to appeal your assessment.  Filing requirements, required information that needs to be part of the submission and other items of the application vary from community to community.  Since you will be filing your appeal with your local assessor or appeal board he/she/they can best tell you what is required.  Believe it or not most assessors will actually help you file an appeal.            

Wetdawgs-

Incorrect. In most counties around the country recently sold homes will not be allowed in an appeal at all. In fact that would get your appeal thrown out. The comps must have sold PRIOR to the assessment date.

For example, if the assessment date in your county is January 1st, 2010 then you must use comps that sold in 2009 only. If you submit comps that sold recently (Sept, or Oct 2010) they won't be considered.

Recently sold homes is most likely the best information.  You should cross check your public records office to confirm the prices Zillow reports.

You can start by checking your property at ValueAppeal.com. You get an instant analysis of whether your home has been unfairly overassessed or not. If it is overassessed, you get the specific comps you need to prove your case to the assessor.