Profile picture for harrisonzena125

How can a home be advertised for sale without the owner knowing

The home is being advertised for sale and owners have no intention of selling
  • August 04 2014 - Davenport
  • 0

Profile picture for Lucky Lang

Your question is, unfortunately, one that is asked too often.  The Internet is a wonderful tool, however, it is also full of inaccurate or outdated information.  If your desire is to find the right home for you to purchase please call a Local Real Estate Professional, such as myself who has always lived in Davenport, and you will have much better and easier results!

Profile picture for Flos Gay Freckles
someone is using my forsale by owner ad and trying to rent my house out.. I've called the police twice and contacted zillow 3 times.. I have a phone number and a email address i gave to police haven't heard a thing.. Even though i removed their ad and made new ones for mine saying i'm being scammed.. Someone came to my house today.. I have 3 dogs.. I've had to put signs on the doors.. He gave them permission to look in the windows.. And is saying he is my husband... Trying to say he is in Texas and house is available now.. I've got 7 pets here.. Its for sale for 450,000... I guess cause their using a different email address..??????? Cause i can't post the same ad twice ... I had to do something a little different.. To get the message out there about the SCAM so no one will come here..For no reason... Wasted the lady's time tonight.. She drove 1 hour here and 1 hour backhome .. To look at it.. 

"When a house is sold and the agent fails to update the advertisement, it remains online indefinitely. This is why we recommend using a REALTOR®, someone who is bound by the Code of Ethics."

Excuse me, but being an REALTOR® does not mean that advertisements are removed from online sites in a timely fashion. Agents manage many feeds/sites so some listings can get missed. Sadly, paying NAR dues does not prevent that from happening.

Profile picture for jay813
Many 3rd party websites are not connected to a local MLS by an IDX Feed or Syndication Agreement.
When a house is sold and the agent fails to update the advertisement, it remains online indefinitely.

This is why we recommend using a REALTOR®, someone who is bound by the Code of Ethics.

Would you please post the address or link to the listing? That might help people give better answers to your question.

That is not possible. I bet it's a scam. If you have the information of the real estate agent or person advertising, you should report it to the local board of REALTORS®.

Profile picture for Ruben Muro
Anybody can list a home for sale online whether it's their home or not. I've even heard of some agents listing a home on the MLS in anticipation of getting a listing. When they show up to the seller's home for the listing appointment they tell the sellers "I've already got several people interested in your home!"- of course this is not ethical. If you're looking to buy a home, get a good buyer's agent to represent you and weed out scams. 

Cause people are crazy.

It appears that some sketchy REA's will do anything to make their phone ring. They become proficient at saying "that house is no longer available, but there are X very similar options in that same area. When can we get together to get started", or something similar.

How? You just find an old listing file and advertise the thing, again. Often there are old pictures etc... It is generally easier to advertise a house for sale the second time than it is the first. The data is gathered. It has often been dispensed to numerous unaccountable sources (Z, T), where it seems to lay around for years, in the desk drawers of the internet..

Is it on the local MLS or just being advertised? May have been a misprint in address or a mistake in the advertising company . I am more interested to know do they have interior pictures? and if so how did they get those without the owners knowledge? If the owners are elderly the children may have listed the home for sale and you may want to try there too. I would just contact the company and request it be taken down. Good luck! 

Is it listed by an agent?   If so, the owners should contact the agent to see what is up.   Sometimes typos occur in listing addresses.