Profile picture for Petsy

How can i lower my taxes on my house I bought three years ago?

• February 03 2009 - Bradbury
  • 0

Profile picture for sunkist6
Los Angeles County Assessor says they'll adjust property tax for buyers who bought at the top of the market without any request filing.  You can go to their web-site, get a phone number, call and inquire, etc.  That may be a good idea, just to be sure that you get the benefit of reduced taxes.  If you need to file a request for redetermination, then the phone call would be a good start :D.
Generally, it is not a complicated process.  You don't need an attorney or accountant or real estate agent to accomplish this.

Sunnyview is so right..... I would suggest you contact a realtor to get you the comps you need to give the assessor. I would contact the agent you used to buy the home. Or..if you are in So Cal, I can email you some listings to send to them.

If you can show that your current value is below what the assessed value is, they will lower the tax. But you are getting close to the cut off for the year.

Karen

You need to contact your local assessor's office and find out when you can appeal. Do not miss the deadline or you will pay all year before your can file again. You will need factual information about how much house like yours are selling for (comps) at least 3-6 of them. You can show the price change over the last year with information from the local MLS or from Zillow's Zindex for your zip code. You can also pay to get an appraisal done although it is usually not necessary with solid recently sold hgouses that are like yours. You want to look for houses that sold just before the change in the assessment year. For me, that would be about mid October/November to the end of December. Make sure and get your facts together showing the price change over what you paid and what your assessed value is. If you can get it lowered, in CA it is limited by how much it can go up every year by Prop 13. I think it's 3% a year, but it has been a little while since I moved so I'm not sure. File your papers, do your homework and you may be able to lower your taxes. I appealed twice and won. You can too.