Profile picture for dori grey

How difficult is the California Real Estate Exam?

I will be taking my pre-licensing courses (as required by the state of California) very soon as administered to me by the California Academy of Real Estate. I ordered their home-study materials a week or so back and have been studying since, but not in a very conventional way. The materials included 6 CD's that I had confirmed as standalone material (they don't require you to read the book as you listen) and I've been listening to those over and over at work every night. I've also begun to make flash cards out of the vocabulary terms in the glossary at the back of each of the books and have been prepping with those as well. I haven't even touched the books outside of the glossaries yet though, which brings me to my question: can I get by on the exams using just those 2 things? David Calhoun is a wonderful instructor and does a great job of breaking down the terminology and concepts of real estate on the CD's and the vocab seems extremely comprehensive. I'm sure the books have some information that would be helpful outside of what I've already learned, but scanning through each of those 500+ page books for a few paragraphs of extra info seems almost superfluous. I'm normally a very good test taker but I didn't want to leave something this important to chance, and I doubt this exam is easy, even with the mere 60% required to pass. Any thoughts? 
  • November 20 2013 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for trwest04
All of these answers seem really old so ill do a little updating for you. From start to finish if you want to pass the Exam on your first try, get all of your materials through Kaplan. Im not a good test taker and i thought i might need to do a crash course but everything Kaplan provides you is more than enough. They have 1100 questions in there study bank and a good 60 of them are on the test and the other questions are very similar just worded differently. i failed all the online test on kaplan and was kind of worried that I wouldnt pass the test. but when i went into the test taking area i wrote down everything i could remember on my little white board and passed the test pretty easily. You need 105 right to pass. I was able to answer 132 confidently. and that is already a passing grade. out of the 18 i didnt know after guessing im sure i got atleast 4 right. I suggest do everything through kaplan. i passed the test yesterday 2/19/15
  • February 20

Easy...

Profile picture for zackfiske
The California Real Estate exam is completely passable. You cannot go into it unprepared though. Make sure to re-read all your books from the courses you took (Real Estate Principles and Real Estate Practice) before going in. Start reading early. Also, if you want a low cost way to prepare, www.realestateexamscholar.com gets you alot of information and a pass guarantee for only $29. 

As Sisters said, passing the exam is only the first step in a lifetime of professional learning.  So, strive to do your absolute best not just the minimum.

When I obtained my high school diploma, for about 3 seconds I thought I knew everything.  But, no, it was the beginning.

When I obtained my black belt in one type of karate, the sensei said "now you are ready to learn".   He was right!

When I obtained an advanced degree, it was the same.  Those handing out diplomas didn't say it but it was only the beginning of learning in my profession. 

Profile picture for CallTheSisters
Passing the test is the easy part. You know enough to be dangerous when you get a license.  Practicing real estate and protecting clients and yourself is the hard part.  No two deals are ever the same.  There are no text books to prepare you or how to books.  Get with a mentor when you join an office.

I started off by reading the books.  There really is a lot of information in them that you'll need in practicing Real Estate, but what really worked in preparing for the exam was an exam prep course.  ( I took mine through Coldwell Banker).   I believe it was one or two Saturdays in which we reviewed many of the questions I ended up seeing on the test.   The math was by far the hardest part.   

Profile picture for Rebecca Marvel
I passed the first time (in 2001) but many agents did not.  I took the Real Estate Trainers course which is a classroom setting.  It wasn't hard to me, just intimidating.  It seemed like prison - nothing on your desk, no books within reach, no bathroom break, etc.

Profile picture for Gabilan Properties
You can't pass with 60%, you need to have 70% for the salesman exam and 75% for the Broker exam.
If I were you, I would find time to study the books otherwise you will be reapplying for a new test date.

Contrary to the belief of some contributors on this forum, the test is very comprehensive and not that easy to pass. Brush up on your math skills.

While you may be able to pass with 60%,  would you like to ride as a passenger in someone who only stopped at 60% of the stop signs?    

It just depends on you.  I got by with just using the practice quizes at the end of each book, and a prep exam book. Its all memorization and then applying some critical thinking.  so its better to over study than under study, but I was more than fine with just memorizing the practice quizes.. hope that helps