How do I buy the lot next door

April 27 2013 - Chelsea

Have your real esate agent look up the property on Tax Roll. On Tax Roll it will show the owner's contact information. From there the agent can contact the owner sharing w/ him/her that you would like to make an offer on the lot. Good luck!

If the lot is not listed on your local MLS, a Real Estate agent can lookup the owner and possibly be able to contact the owner in your behalf. I would highly reccomend having a Realtor help you to have protection. 

First, I would call a Realtor, so that you have local professional representation. This is very important.

If you will be borrowing money to the buy the lot, then you must get pre-approved by a Lender - and you should do that before you make an offer. Also before you make an offer, you need to know what the lot is worth. Your Realtor should review the recent sales of lots in the same general area as the lot you want to buy, so that an accurate determination of current market value can be established. Finally, your purchase of the lot can be made contingent upon other things. Will you be building on it?

A neighbor on my court once approached me and proudly exclaimed that they bought a lot, they'll be building their dream home on it, and then they intend to sell their current home. I asked him where the lot was located. When he told me, I immediately knew of the area, and anticipated trouble because it was in the middle of a large neighborhood of existing homes that were built over 15 years ago. My experience told me there was a reason this solitary lot remained open. I asked him if he had a soil test done. He did not - he didn't even know what it was. When he finally had a builder do one, it was discovered that the lot would not support the weight of a home without pilings, which was prohibitively expensive for him to do... and he could not have a basement, because of underground streams located on the property. After spending eight years cutting the grass each week, he sold it to the people who lived next door to it for a third of what he paid.

Get a Realtor - they are there to protect your best interests.

I would recommend contacting a local real estate professional in your area to help you with the purchase.  A realtor will work for you and should watch out for your best interests.  I would insist the seller allow you to have a realtor so you know what you are buying!

Contact the owner and make an offer