Profile picture for Come Home

How do I choose a listing agent? I really like many of them but I need the one who will do the best

January 15 2011 - Eugene

Ask for recommendations.  Call the past/present customers and listen to what they have to say.

Always remember to ask if they would hire the Realtor again in the future and ask why?

February 15 2011
Greetings,

I am real estate agent in the Salem market, and I always let my clients know that the two main things that sell a home are price and marketing.  
Pricing is based on your area, condition of home and updates that have been done (Among other factors).

After that comes marketing.. and I agree with Brandon Nelson, but it's actually 80% last I checked for buyers finding their home online.  Find someone that is willing to spend money on quality marketing in every area because that is our job as advertisers of your home. Make sure you can trust them and that they have the experience to back you up in tough situations.

Remember... don't just find someone to put a sign in your yard, because anybody can do that!  You are paying them money to market your home, so they better be doing a darn good job of it.

February 10 2011
Ask this question.  What specific steps will you take to sell my poroperty?

Hire the Realtor that in your opinion, gives you the best answer. 

THE single most important question depends on your specific situation.  In all cases, you want to know that this is the agent's fulltime occupation, not just something they do in their spare time. You also should
make sure the agent knows your neighborhood; don't list with some agent who's on the other side of town.

If you are going to sell in a short sale situation, ask the agent if he or she has short sale experience.  You might even ask for a reference from a past client who the agent assisted with a short sale.  Do not rely on a "certification," (CSSN or CDPE); a certification just means the agent shelled out money and sat in a class, but it doesn't tell you the agent has actuallycompleted short sales.

Make sure they have the experience that you feel is adequate.it is very important that u feel comfortable with,and u can trust.There will be very trying conversations between the two of you and u have to be able to talk to each other

Choose the agent that fully utilizes the internet to market your property. 90% of buyers start their search on the internet.
Find a local or neighborhood expert.

Ask exactly what marketing services they perform--video, listing syndication, free-standing website, etc.--and make them tell you what each one costs.  Ask how many hours they'll spend on your transaction--a short sale, for example, is harder to do and takes longer than a standard one.  Don't take "each one is different" for an answer--insist on an estimate.  Then ask what he/she charges, and correlate that with the work performed.

The important thing is to get concrete answers, something like "It will take at least two hours to get your home syndicated into at least two dozenplaces, such as Zillow, Trulia, Realtor.com, Yahoo, etc., and I will provide you with a report every week on the web activity."  If you get an answerlike "As your trusted advisor, I can provide you with the best service ever because of my five years in the business," do another interview.

These are all very good answers. I could not anything more other than, go with your gut instinct. After you have done all the homework on the ones you are interested in, the one with whom you have the best rapport with and feel best about will be your best choice. Good luck!

Hello: that is a very good question. Most everyone knows at least 1 Realtor so the decision to hire should be based on a number of things including how you resonate with that individual as you will be working with that person most likely for a lengthly period of time. Ask for a resume. I provide my sellers with a breakdown of how many transactions I have closed for the year including my ratio of days on market and what my sellers get for a closed sales price vs. The actual list price. I show actual numbers vs what the average agent has done in the last year. These numbers speak for themselves. What you want is an agent who will keep you informed and who has knowledge of marketing on the Internet. The bulk of the buyers are now searching on the Internet and if the agent you select does not keep your property on as many search engines as possible your listing will get lost in the maze. I employ a "virtual assistant" whose primary job is to make sure your listing is visible in as many places as potential buyer may look on the Internet. Good luck with your decision making process. Regards, Jan Sohlman,principal broker

Profile picture for AKENT
I'm always amazed at the questions that sellers looking to list do not ask the agents, such as the following:
1. How long have you been selling real estate?
2. Is real estate your main occupation, i.e. do you sell full time?
3. How much have you sold the last 2 years.
4. Where will you be advertising my home?
5. What MLS systems will it be included in? 
6. Can you provide me a Comparative Market Analysis? 

These are basic questions that most sellers never ask the agents; therefore, they end up with new agents that have never sold a home, and are wondering why their home has not sold.   

The market in your area is softening so you need an agent that understands that. You do not need just a nice agent that will give you an unattainable CMA to buy your listing. You need an agent that is professional, honest, tuned in to the local market and able to accurately assess what the market will be willing to pay for your house. An agent that has a recent sale in your local neighborhood area would be a plus this time of the year.

The market in Eugene is slow in the winter. Houses do sell in the NW, but they sell slower and lower on average. You can see the market trends here and notice that every year the sales slow down and then pick up in the spring. You need to have an agent that is willing to price your house right and not just price it high and wait for spring.

Nice is great, but knowledgeable and professional is what will sell your house.

Profile picture for rockinblu
Click here for more info than you probably really need. lol

Who has been the most responsive thus far? Who gets back to you the fastest - do they ask what type of communcation you prefer? phone? text? email??

I will assume you are speaking to experienced agents, totally familiar with your specific area,  who have discussed in great detail (and put in wiriting) their marketing plans.

All of them will want to do their best, as they don't get paid until your home sells.

I tell sellers that listing their home is almost like a short term marriage! You will and should be in close contact with each other.....you need to have open communitcation,,,,.and a trust level so you can work together as a team.
You want someone who is a straight shooter, and will tell you what you need to hear, not what you want to hear.

Go with your gut - the agent who gives you the best feeling of confidence

Good luck!.

Look for experience and recent sales information. Also, their marketing plan should blow you away, don't settle.

You have to go with the Agent you feel most comfortable with. You would want to feel comfortable that they understand the market in your area. You really want an Agent that will communicate well with you as well. That is crucial that you can communicate comfortably.

I agree with Pete. Each agent will have a different approach and marketing plan. Choose the one you feel most comfortable and confident with. I would like to show you how I get homes sold.

Interview three. You will start to see differences in approach, experience and professionalism.
Pete