How do I determine the rental $$ for a home without having to consult with a real estate company

how do I determine the rental $$ for a home without having to consult with a real estate company even though I do I plan to use real estate agent in future.
  • August 06 2012 - Johns Creek
  • 0

When you compare the time since I have been a member (participating in public "advice") and when this was posted, I do not see any fault in the time frame of my response. I wanted to let the original poster and others know I was aware of the time frame of my response.   If something was directly sent to me then I would have responded 99.9% of the time w/in 24 hrs.
I just enjoy helping others, and wish I had more time to actively participate, however my main focus is on my current clients.  
Wetdawgs... I see that your a veteran of Zillow advice and earned many standout credentials yourself.  I commend you for all the consumer advice you contribute. Are you in the GA area?  Given the spelling of Dawgs

Thank You,
Kevin Stocks - Realtor

Hey Kevin:

It looks like you are trying to get your local expert badge.  Do you really wish to convey lack of timeliness?   

I realize that this post is old, however concerning the area in which I reside as a resident, I felt compelled to answer.  Did you find the the information you needed?  If not feel free to contact me via my profile or my website.  I am a Johns Creek resident & GA native and would be happy to assist.

Kevin -Realtor

Check out other rental listings. Zillow has a few, but also check out your local paper, Craigslist, and any source of rentals you can find.  Get details like bedrooms and square footage if you can.

Then average the rental rates for homes that are similar to yours.  This isn't scientific by any means, but will help you price it with the least amount of work.  Other conditions would apply like special neighborhood features, the condition of your property, and how detailed you are with credit applications.

Tenants may negotiate on the price as well, so make sure you set a bottom dollar for yourself ahead of time.

Best of luck!

is this a home you own and want to rent out.....or a home you are looking to rent yourself to live in?

In either case......why not be sure you are well informed, and ask an agent for help - .we do all kinds of nice things for free!

call the agent you're going to use in the future and use him or her now.

Drive the area and look for rent signs or look on Zillow, Trulia, and Realtor.com

Good Luck
Jon Schaffer

I would look on craigslist and other rental sites on a weekly basis. Search by neighborhood name or local school to see what is being asked in rent.

You do have to consider that not all of the asking rents get executed contracts so look for any rent drops and the overall trend for your type of house. Most property management companies also are happy to discuss local rents if you are considering hiring a manager down the line.