Profile picture for IR2277

How do I determine the size of a house I am about to buy?

I am looking to buy a foreclosure house however the house is listed at over 2900sq feet, when I add up all the rooms (verified the size by measuring them myself) I only get 1700 sq feet. I understand that this doesn't include bathrooms closets, hallways etc, but there is no way that all of that can add up to another 1200 sq feet! Even the exterior measures don't add up to 2900. The tax assessor states the same size as the listing.  How do I validate the actual size of the property and get this information for tax adjustment?

March 04 2013 - Des Plaines

You should contact the Assessors Office to see what they require if you think the SF is wrong. You can hire an appraiser to get a more accurate SF, but not sure that will be good enough for the Assessor.

I go by assessors assessment, but when the appraiser comes they will measure the outside and have a formula for calculating the inside Sq ft.  You may want to call one to see how they do it, for me, I do use from the assessors office.  Are you working with a Realtor?   These are great questions they should be answering for you.
Best of luck.

Spirit

You should go to the outside of the house and measure the length x the width= sq ft. and compare it to the assessor. It may be closer than you think.

There's lots of good feedback given. Contact a appraiser to get the heated square footage vs the gross square footage. Best Wishes!

In your case, double check again by measuring the perimeter of the structure. If still off, contact a Realtor or appraiser in the area and ask of this is typical, some tracts may be 'off' for whatever reason.

Regardless of what the county or MLS says, you are only buying what you measure.

Profile picture for Vince Curtis
Latest reply by Vince Curtis

1. 1957 Pine St, Des Plaines, IL Home For Sale
    1957 Pine St, Des Plaines, IL 60018

2. 8580 W Foster Ave UNIT 305, Norridge, IL Home For Sale
    8580 W Foster Ave UNIT 305, Norridge, IL 60706

3. 906 W Willow Ln, Mount Prospect, IL Home For Sale
    906 W Willow Ln, Mount Prospect, IL 60056

Sign in with Google