Profile picture for peanutcrunch

How do I fight Escape Assessments and Assessments values in General?

I am looking for professional help in fighting San Francisco tax collector.
  • April 23 2009 - West of Twin Peaks
  • 1

Profile picture for jro_chi
I am in the process of refinancing my Twin Peaks condo and received an appraisal far below what I anticipated.  (Good news is that it won't impact my ability to refinance because I still have plenty of equity.) 

Since the appraisal is $50,000 below the assessed value of my condo for SF property tax purposes, I spoke with someone in the Assessor's office yesterday to find out the process to follow in requesting a reduction in the assessed value. 

If you haven't already done this, here's what they told me:

They directed me to go the the City of SF website (www.sfgov.org) and search on 'Informal Review'.  Select the PDF for the 2009-2010 Request for Informal Review of Assessed Value.  The request must be made between April 1 and August 28. 

They use a January 1 'lien date' for market value - you need to provide stats on 3 comparable sales that occurred +/- 90 days of that date.  Unfortunately, because my appraisal was from mid-May, most of the sales fell after March 31.  The person in the Assessor's office told me to just call a realtor and ask them to provide me with market comps during the Oct 1 - March 31 time period. 

The next step is to select 3 comps and fill out the form and submit to them for a review for the July 1, 2009 - June 30, 2010 tax year.

Since it sounds like your situation is regarding an escape assessment (I assume it was for work previously done on your place that they're just now getting around to inreasing your assessed value for), the process may be somewhat different for backward looking assessments.

Hope this helps
Jan

Dear Peanut crunch,
I am a realtor for 23 yrs and I worked for the County assessor for 6 yrs some 25 years ago. I have helped hundreds maybe thousands of tax payers in the Chicagoland area to reduce there unjustified,unequal share of their tax burden for Cook&Lake county mainly, but the method is or should be universal in doing so. THE ADVISE from the previous comments is way off and her being a Professional Realtor giving bad advise out side of her profession is I am sorry to say too common. Most if not all governmental taxing bodies will NOT even LOOK at a CMA from a realtor. WE ARE NOT APPRAISERS, nor should we get involved in a giving advise out side there realm of practice of Real Estate. This is unethical and can lead to legal problems if the realtor picks out the comps and you don't get a reduction,because it might be practicing as a apraiser or lawyer without an license if you are taking their legal advice. Most townships,county's youcan get free help,but you got to remember that these are the people who are giving the governmental bodies the information to fight against you. So find a lawyer who specializes in this. I am not a lawyer but i have help a few of them over the years. I am a property tax reduction expert or consultant. There are too many rules and regulations to talk about that would also knock out the CMA, so it would be all a waste of time for a REALTOR to give you this document. I wish Realtor's would stay to the line of work that they practice in because that's a full time time in itself and not give ilegal or ill advice to the unknowing consumer. Sorry to be soo harsh but i see this across the USA much too frequently.
    Sincerely yours,
   Don Yosef MArcus GRI,ABR,SRES,CCREC
Century 21 MB
Northbrook & Chicago
DonYo770@aol.com
  847-361-7770 

if you are a proprty owner anywhere in the US you can not 'escape' the Assesments of the county your property is in... paying our 'fair' share of tax is being a good citizen...if you need to be adjusted due to the economic down turn... contact a local realtor and have comps done... submit with the proper city paperwork and in the correct time frame... email me if you need a referral... good luck