Profile picture for LisaLaib

How do I find a good appraiser, and what should I expect to pay/

I have a mobile home that I've been renting out, I've come to the realization I'm not cut out to be a landlord. So I have decided to see "the old girl". I need to see what all I need to do to sell her for the best price possible. I am emotionally attached and I hate to sell her, but if I have to I want to make sure whoever buys her has to pay if they're just going to abuse her. I can't explain it and I'm not nuts. Please advise me. Thank you.
  • February 07 - Redlands
  • 0

Contact a Realtor who has experience with mobile homes. Maybe, a neighbor has sold or is selling their home in your area. Contact 2 or 3 of those listing agents.

A Realtor will meet with you, take a look at your home and have a prepared CMA (comparative market analysis) to show you what similar homes have recently sold for and explain how to use this information to determine the value of your home. This is a routine part of a Realtors job.

This is the same thing an  appraiser does to determine your home's  value, though appraisals are more detailed. Realtors don't make any money in any way until they successfully close a sale, so there is no fee for the Realtors CMA, and they can answer all your questions.

An appraisal costs in the neighborhood of $450.
  • February 09

I would not pay an appraiser to evaluate a mobile home. Some Realtors do have experience with them so that would be the best way to get a value "on the old gal".
  • February 09

For your purpose, an appraisal isnt really necessary. Mobile home valuation is best done via local Realtors who have sold there recently. I would contact the last 3 or 4 Realtors who have sold in your tract, or an adjacent similar tract, recently. 

If you still want to consult or hire an appraiser, here is a link to find a local one. Make sure they specialize in mobile homes, though, some appraiser (including myself) would not want to touch them with a ten foot pole...

Price - Mobile home appraisals do cost more than SFR appraisals, by the way, and tend to be less accurate, simply because of lack of data (usually). .DONT use free online valuation service for mobile homes, never accurate there...

• February 07

Typical appraisal fee range is $350-$500 depending on size of the property and the type of property it is.  An appraisal for a duplex would cost more then one for a Condo.

As for searching for an appraiser, I would choose one that is familiar with your neighborhood preferably an appraiser no more than 5 miles from your property.  And since you mention that you own a mobile home, I would also ask the appraiser if he/she has experience with appraising mobile homes.

Hope that helps.  Good luck!
  • February 07

Profile picture for CarrieSiliconValley
Dear user,

when it comes to finding a good real estate appraiser, you should always make sure the appraiser is licensed or certified by your state to perform the real estate appraisal. Don't be afraid to ask for their copy of his or her license, it'll be unwise to use the services of any professional who is not licensed or certified. 

let the appraiser know what you are using the appraisal for and ask what they'll do to help you. if it doesn't sound like enough, call another one for a second opinion. an experienced appraiser will help you sell your home by showing exactly what the market is doing.

best of luck!
  • February 07