How do I find a skilled & reputable agent to sell my home in Pacifica, CA? What is the standard comm

What questions should I ask when interviewing an agent? Do you recommend any material I can read to become informed about the selling process? Thank you.

August 12 2013 - Pacifica

Here are a few question I am asked when interviewing for the job:

10 Things You Need to Know Before You Hire an Agent and keep in mind that An agent can cost or save you thousands of dollars

1. What makes you different? Why should I list my home with you?
2. What is your track record and reputation in the market place?
3. What are your marketing plans for my home?
4. What homes have you sold in my area?
5. Does your Broker control your advertising or do you?
6. On average, when your listings sell, how close is the selling price
to the asking price?
7. On average, how long does it take for your listings to sell?
8. How many Buyers are you currently working with?
9. Do you have a reference list of clients I could contact?
10. What happens if I'm not happy with the job you are doing to get
my home sold? Can I cancel my listing contract?

When you interview a few agents and if they have answered these questions to your satisfaction, you have a winner.

Also the agent who charges the least commission, or tries to list your home for the highest price is not always your best choice.

Good luck

I do recommend that you educate yourself on the process. I like the "for dummies" books because the subjects are broken down clearly and concisely.  I like "Angie's List" for unbiased and honest information on all trades. They are online and I would give that service a try.
If not, then speak to your neighbors who might know a good Realtor in the area. There's nothing like a personal referral, In my opinion.

Just to add a couple points, I recommend that you interview a few agents and get a feel for which agent you feel comfortable with.  You'll want to make sure that you're working with someone who will listen to you and respect you but also someone you respect as well.

Another place to look for some good feedback for an agent is on Yelp.com

Profile picture for Dunes ..

5 Crucial Steps Before Home Selling

Getting Ready to Sell Your Home

By Elizabeth Weintraub, About.com Guide

Elizabeth is a Realtor who posts occasionally here at Zillow and has written several articles including interviewing an Agent that are worth reading imo..

"Over the past decade the average commission rate has remained relatively steady between 5.0 and 5.5 percent."

The above quote is from the Dept. of Justice Anti-Trust website which has a lot of information you may find interesting and useful..................................Competition and Real Estate

Best of Luck to ya whichever road you decide to travel

There really isn't a standard cmmission because everything is negotiable, but I would say 6% is the most common. 3% to the listing agent and 3% to the buyers agent. The seller is responsible for both parties realtor fees.

All commissions are negotiable. Ask the agents you talk to what their company charges. Ask how long they have been a Realtor and if they are full time. You don't want a part time agent that no one can find when they are at their real job.