Profile picture for kiddc001

How do I find an agent to sell our house if we are not in the state that the house we want to sell i

December 22 2013 - US

A lot of good answers in this forum.  I suggest that you talk to your local realtor.  They can do the research for good agents in the area you want to move and refer a couple of them to you.  While I am on Trulia and Zillow, there are a lot of good agents that are not…and they build their reputation organically through good service and referrals.  Get those referrals from your own local agent, then interview the ones referred to.

I refer my clients to other agents throughout the country on a regular basis and I know the customer, so I know what kind of agent they prefer to work with.  I have always been able to locate a good match…either with my own company (Keller Williams) or another company. Finding the right agent for my customers is very important for me and my relationship with them.

Good luck.

January 23
Century 21 American Homes are nation wide. We lead the industry I'm a licensed realtor in N.Y. I have used  agents in Nevada, calif.,and fla. Its a small referral fee.Contact me  I would love to answer any questions you may have.

January 22
A start would be to check with your local realtor to see if they have a referral program which could give you the names of a couple of realtors they recommend. I would then set up a time to do a phone interview and check their references. The computer is very helpful in this area as you can skype an interview and take care of all paperwork via Docusign, secure online signatures.

January 22
Skype or phone interview .

January 21
Kiddc001-

Good Morning.

All solid answers here, I would only add, that whomever you contact (agent wise), you have a spreadsheet, word doc, etc, containing the same data on your home, so after or during your interviewing process you can send said agents +/- the same data, thus you are getting "apples to apples" feedback. I hope that helps.

Have a BEAUTIFUL day.

-Shawn I. Rogers, REALTOR, AZ.

January 19
Today, with all technology, this is not a problem at all.  We all have access to email, e-signature in contracts, faxes, etc.  Find a realtor in the area your house is.  Zillow, for instance, is a good source.  When you search for your own address, it will show on the right of the screen three agents who do business in your area.  Contact one of them and I am sure they will be able to help you.  If they have good reviews should show you the kind of professional they are.  Good luck!

January 04
Taking care of "Out of State" sales is something we do all the time. A good Realtor will have everything you need to conduct business via secure online document signing. It's the same type of program that is used by banks.

January 03
Do a search on Zillow for Pros in the area where the home is located.  Read their reviews.  Contact a couple and interview them on the phone.

Definitely start by calling a few local agents and interviewing them about the market you are in and see who you feel the most comfortable with.  You can go to "Find a Pro" on Trulia and look at agent's recommendations to see who you think would represent your home the best.

I agree. I suggest you start your search for an Agent here on Zillow.  Just click on Find A Pro, then type in the zip code of your property.... then read the reviews of about 5 agents and make your selection. 

Start locally!  Who sold you your current home?  Do you have a friend that is a Realtor?  Or a company that you prefer?  Most of us as Realtors work for companies that have Relocation Departments that can team you up with a Realtor in your destination spot.  The great thing about that is we are able to share your needs, restrictions, scheduling issues...everything necessary to find the perfect agent for you.  That way when you're ready to list you have someone pretty much handpicked to help you sell your home. Good luck to you!

Since you asked the question through Zillow.com, I would suggest you begin your search within the Zillow community. Go to the city and state where your property is and search for properties of the same size, amenities and approximate/expected price. You will begin to see a small group of Realtor names associated with these properties. Call a few of the prominent ones and interview them.

That's fairly easy.............

1. do you know anyone in the state where the house is located? If so - ask them for some personal referrals. Then follow the advice I offer below in regard to chekcing them out,  a phone interview and written marketing plans

2. if you don't know of anyone personally, google local real estate companies in that area - call and ask to speak with the manager. Tel them what your needs are, and what kind of person you're looking for. I'd suggest a larger company -  as there may be a bigger pool of agents from which to choose.

Ask the manager to suggest an agent in his or her office.........interview them (by phone if there is too great of a distance - could even do a face time interview on an ipad or iphone!) and see if you feel a connection. Check out their website. Have a list of prepared questions to ask. You can even ask for recommendations. Also ask for a written marketing plan.

If the first agent you speak to doesn't make you feel comfortable (this is almost like a blind date!)...........ask the manager for another name!

3. you can always look at zillow's list of agents on top of the page........just make sure you check anyone out....see what they "look like" online........and see what level of professionalism they exhibit when you speak with them

Hope this helps!

Best of luck........happy holiday!

You can ask an agent you know in your area for a referral agent they may know in the area the home is located.  If you do not have anyone contact me with the address and I will refer you an agent.