Profile picture for sebringc4

How do I find out how strong the rental market is?

Considering buying another house and renting my house but cannot find out how quickly the renting can happen. I have a good idea of what is being asked, just don't know who quickly houses are being rented.
  • January 21 2009 - Fairfax

Profile picture for sebringc4
Thanks for the tips. I'm more concern in finding out how quickly houses are being rented for. For example, there were 30 houses for rent in December, 20 rented (15 SFH, 5 TH) and 10 are still available. January has 25 rentals to date and 7 have been rented out.

With the local economy, you don't know the affect it has on rentals. You know what affect it has on sales and inventory(foreclosures). Similiar to sales, it would be nice to know if you put your house up for rent with a reasonable price, it would get rented within 45 days(for example). Basically finding out what the demand is for rentals.

I can check with a realtor, which I also thought of, but how do you validate the rental information being provided. I can easily validate what the real estate agent is telling me about the selling market but not sure about the rental market. Like any business, there are many great honest people and others who tell you just enough.

Don't want to forge ahead and buy a property, move and then have issues with renting my old residence.

Hope this helps clarify...Thanks...

Profile picture for Chris A. Lewis
Checking with a realtor is a good idea, you can also check craigslist.org and see what is being offered.

Profile picture for dkendig
I'm interested in this question too.  A couple of years ago I started down this path but was unable to acquire a rental property because the market was so insanely hot.  And now  I'm sure glad I didn't buy a rental at that time.  Anyway, back then I got our Realtor to pull the rentals in my area.  That is one way. The other is to look online to see what is listed for rent.

Dave