Profile picture for ankaj42

How do I find out if who built a the houses I am looking at?

I am looking at houses and have been told to avoid certain builders.  I am wondering where I should look to find out who the builder of a particular house is, so that I can further research the builder.  
  • December 28 2010 - Boise
  • 0

I'd start by asking my Buyer Broker (I hope you're working with one) who should be able to answer this for you promptly.

Secondly you could always check with your city/towns planning department and thye can tell you who pulled the building permit.

You may want to investigate the builders on your "do not buy" list first, remember everyone has an opinion and often what you hear or read on the Internet is simply untrue or an example of a personality conflict between the Buyer and builder or just as likely Buiyers who are unrealistic in their expectations as to what a builder warranty means or covers.

Finally I would also suggest calling your states Attorney generals office to see if any complaints have been filed regarding the builders on your list and if so what the outcome was. I wouldn't bother with the BBB, their infpormation is less than useless.

Good Luck.

You could start by checking with the planning department to find out who pulled the building permit. Also, the Department of Health (environmental) would have a record of who applied for the septic permit.

Hello Ankaj42,

I am not sure if this is a house in a remote location or part of a development, but you can most likely find out by simply asking a few of the neighbors.  If this does not suit you, then you can check the county records. All home sales have to be recorded. Also, the planning and zoning departments have to approve any builder to build on the land. You may be able to track down these records.  Another route to go is to contact a title company (either directly or through an agent) and give them the property details and see if they can help you.  Best of luck!

You can check with the town. Assuming the house is recently built, the town will have permits on file that the builder applied for.