How do I find out what others are paying for homeowner's insurance in my area?

How do I find out what others are paying for homeowner's insurance in my area? Is there a tool available online?  I'm paying $2400 a year for a $152,000 loan.  Everyone I talk to has much lower rates for much higher mortgages.  My house is a 100 year old brick home and the company (starts with G and has a lizard mascot) says the style of the house is the reason for the high rate.  I plan to shop around, and need advice as to what is a reasonable rate.
  • April 23 2013 - Tower Grove South
  • 0

Shopping around is the key.   Get at least 3-4 quotes and always make sure to compare quotes on policies with exactly the same terms,  If the quotes all come in within the same ballpark use the strength of the insurers rating as the deciding factor.

Profile picture for plevy0003
I am most familiar with www.statefarm.com and www.libertymutual.com. They have both done well for my clients. 

Thanks for taking the time to respond. You are a professional, so what tools are available to find out what others in my neighborhood (with very similar houses) are paying for homeowners insurance?  What internet tools give fair quotes?

Profile picture for plevy0003
Your homeowner's insurance will be based on the size of the home, condition,ie. age of the roof, electrical and plumbing updates, and location. For quotes, the internet may be your best source before committing to an agent. 
If you would like to speak to an agent, without any obligation, call Dane Huxel, State Farm, at 314-265-7508. Dane is the preferred agent for our office, Keller Williams STL.