How do I get a preliminary feasibility study for a single home.

I have made an offer for a building lot and have included a feasibility clause. I am having trouble finding someone who can give me an estimate of what it would cost to get the lot ready to build. I am concerned about potential critical areas, slopes and some fill that is on the property. I know where on the lot we would want the house but I don't have a house plan yet. I have talked to the city planners office and verified the utilities (water, power, gas, stormwater) are all at the street.

October 06 2012 - Edmonds

Best Answer
There are several components to what you are looking to accomplish which is why you may be having difficulty obtaining a straight answer from one individual.  If you have topography concerns, the first place to start is with a qualified surveyor who will provide you with a site plan.  They can give you a good sense as to what type of home can be built on the lot.  Then I would recommend a soils test, so you know what is there.  I recently had an investor purchase a home for tear down and rebuild.  The soil was pretty bad and we found out that the new house we planned to build had to have pilings under the foundation.  This added $30,000 in cost to the plan that we were not planning for.  Soils tests generally range from $800 to $1500 for single family residential sites.  Surveys are typically about $1000.  Once you have that data, a good general contractor should be able to give you more informed advice on the cost to build.  Hope this help. 

Tom Meckey
www.tommeckey.com 

If you are inexperienced in building, I'd recommend finding a spec builder who is willing to do a semi-custom home.  Find someone who is building in Edmonds.
The piecemeal approach (architect, soils & structural engineers, GC)will take about 6-12 months to design and a similar amount of time to build. a spec builder who has a plan that they use should be able to do it in half the time and about 30% less cost. Obviously you need to find someone who has build on a sensitive site.