Profile picture for fshi7727

How do I get an accurate Zestimate posted for my house?

How do I know it is wrong?  Because mine is at $688,000 and the virtually identical house (same age, same size, same builder, mirror image floor plan) next door is at $442,000.  What's different?  The $442k house is 100% original (and sold in July 2009 for $442,000) and mine has $150,000 in remodel upgrades (high-end kitchen, lofted ceiling, carport converted to garage, 3 of 4 wood burning fireplaces converted to gas, all new windows, skylights, etc.)  And to top it off, a professional appraisal in December 2009 valued my house at $800,000.
  • March 17 2010 - View Ridge
  • 0

Zillow can't go into each home to check the upgrades that owners make.  There are provisions for owners and agents to make these changes to make the Zestimate more exact.  The more data Zillows algorithm has on each home the more accurate the Zestimate will be.  Don't take it personally, it's just a computer program.   

Profile picture for fshi7727
Seems my question does not make a lot of sense as I made the same error twice:  the identical house next door is at $742,000 Zestimate and sold for $742,000 (not the $442,000 I stated!  must be time for new glasses!)  But as I said, that is with no upgardes  since built in 1964, whereas mine has significant upgrades.  Maybe Zillow gets some right - but not even close this time!

Profile picture for nwhome.us
If you look on the FAQ tab to the left, you will find a link to the Most Frequent Zillow Questions.  On that link you will find a number of videos that can help you make your own estimate, look for comps and understand how Zillow generates the Zestimates.
A more complete knowledge of the modeling will help you counter any objections that you may receive when you are ready to sell.
Good luck.

Profile picture for LumleyTeam

I will be more than happy to do a market analysis of your home (no charge)
I grew up in North Seattle and have been selling real estate in View Ridge for the past 21 years.

I just did one for a home that zillow had at $447,000, the appraiser $550,000, The two market analysis that were done came in at under $430,000. The home will probably sale closer to $400,000

I firmly believe full time Realtors who help clients buy and sale everyday in North Seattle know the market better than anyone else.

Brent Lumley
206-650-0222