Profile picture for bernadettelking

How do I get started with learning about the home buying process

Im looking for someone to walk me through the process its my first time and don't have any knowledge on where to start I have a few credit issues but Im already in process of fixing I really need some guidance.
  • March 14 2014 - Miami
  • 0

Hello.....

I have the team that can close you.. great programs...( LOW rates!)

Find a good referral for a mortgage lender.  Start there because a mortgage pre approval is the first and most important step when buying a home.

We're a multi state direct lender ... feel free to contact me at my profile.  Will be glad to take you through the process and select the best program for you.

Alex

All the prior answers to this question are quite wonderful! Yes, a Loan Officer is a great start, especially considering your credit may need a few minor fixes. They will better provide you with a realistic picture of where you are and how long you could expect to be ready to go!  My advice would be a local Broker who may have the time to help you vs. a larger bank who may not offer credit help!

Profile picture for pamelamendoza72
Home Buying Process with a green touch

When Buying a Home:

1- Your Foundation is: a stable income, good credit, accurate income tax returns, and additional funds fora down payment, inspection, appraisal, survey and closing cost. By having these you can easily get a solid pre-approval document from a lender.  This document will be the foundation of your offers when buying a home.  When a seller sees that you have a pre-approved letter from a respected lender he understands that you can afford his/her home and he/she will feel confident to enter into a contract with you.
     go green: keep all your documents in digital form as much as possible only print them out on paper when is strictly necessary, you will be extending the lives of our precious trees.

2- Picking out a place and professionals: the acquisition of a home is one of the greatest investments in someone's life.  Be very careful in choosing where you and your family will be spending a good portion of your lives.  Be selective, study and analyse well the area where you will be living for a few years.   Investigate the quality of the schools, the crime rate, commercial growth, projections, etc.  Feed your knowledge of the area as much as possible.  Also, keep in mind that you can find a house to buy on your own but Realtors can provide a wider rage of home inventory and experience.  the same goes for Lender and Title company professionals, be selective but once you are working with them trust them.  Take advantage of their experience you will have a smoother transaction.
     go green: when driving around town, if the whether permits, let the windows down, enjoy the fresh air. By not using the a/c, you will be limiting the amount of carbon dioxide burned in your car motor that pollutes our air.

3- Hope and Faith: after submitting your offer hopefully you will be the one entering into a contract with the home seller.  Then comes a the 45 to 90 day period in which your loan will be in the process of getting approved, be patient, don't despair if everything was done the right way by the lending professionals the deal will close at the earliest projected time possible.
     go green:.. "can an anxious thought add a single day to your life?"... Don't take worrying thoughts seriously, let them pass you by, and welcome brighter ones. 

4- Build life long lasting professional relationships: after closing and after you have settle at your new home, keep in touch with the professionals that worked with you through the entire transaction  process.  Keep your bridges in good standing condition,  you never know when you may need them again.  Call them or visit them if possible, keep the contact alive.
     go green: plant lovers know watering is the life of a healthy plant. So it is keeping in touch consistently with people that we want to have a healthy relationship with, water them as much as possible.

Hello Bernadette

First , you need to get a Pre Approval letter from a Mortgage Loan Originator like myself or at your local bank. (unless you are paying cash)
Once you have that,  you can  work with a Real Estate Agent of your choice and find a property you like . (you dont have to go through one Real Estate Agent  but it does make the process easier and smoother)

I can Pre Approve you for a loan and give you info
on the maximum loan amount you qualify for based on your income and credit and the minimum down payment you will need.

Hello.  You have asked a wonderful question that I wish more people would be honest and ask prior to beginning their journey.  I think it would greatly benefit you to find a good lender as well as a good realtor.  This will allow you to create a trusting relationship as they each walk you through the specific steps to homeownership.  It does begin with the lender as you need to know what your buying power is as well as a road map for any credit issues.  Meanwhile, the agent can be keeping you in the loop on the current market, maybe a monthly status report, providing a road map of his/her own, getting you acquainted with the paperwork you will eventually sign, etc.
This is an exciting time for you.  Interview and select wisely.  The lender and realtor will work for you but the relationship part can make it an absolutely amazing experience.  I work in AZ therefore can't be your agent (boo!).  If you need a referral, I am happy to help.
I wish you the best.  It is worth the journey!!
Melanie  

If you are considering to buy a home one of the first steps to buying a home would be to speak with a lender that best fits your situation to get pre-qualified. Then when you do apply for a loan, lenders like myself will need to look at several different things if you are trying to prequalify for a loan. We will need to analyze your assets, credit, expenses, income, debt, employment, down payment, etc. Once you have a pre-approval then you can start submitting offers to houses that you would like to buy. I would recommend that you speak with a lender as soon as you can. The lender can then check out your finances to see if there is anything you would need to fix. So when the time comes to buy, you should be completely ready. Either way, the best thing for you to do is to speak with a knowledgeable lender to see if you can get started on financing a new home. If you need additional assistance, feel free to reach out. Good luck!

Here's a link to Zillow's "buyer's roadmap".   It is well worth reading before introducing yourself to salespersons.

Profile picture for Dan Tabit
bernadetteelking,
Acknowledging your need is so important. So many these days watch some TV shows and think they know way more than they do. 
Where you are underway with your credit, a solid experienced agent with patience is your next step.  Consider some who respond to you here, but interview some and get the best one. 

Profile picture for MSahdala
Dear Bernadette,

I will be happy to assist you. I work a lot with first time home buyers and also with credit difficulties. I am happy to hear you were already able to address this issue and get the ball rolling. Home buying process starts from evaluating your purchasing power, meaning how much of a home you can afford. I can assist with the entire process A-Z, including prequalification for the loan and throughout entire transaction; locating a perfect property, negotiations and closing. Please contact me through my profile I will gladly talk over the phone and explain the process. Please note that all real estate services for buyers are free. I am looking forward to speaking with you...Meg

Hi! I would love to help, but I am in Nashville. If you can not find someone local, please let me know as I should be able to search and find a good agent that can help you!