How do I know I'm not being scammed?

I found what I thought to be a beautiful home on zillow, but its only be sold by the ownner. I filled out the informational section to request more information on the home and then did a drive by to see the neighborhood the home is located in and soon realized the home doesn't exist.  I'm very concerned because my husband and I submitted information about ourselves (Name, Phone number, Email).  With this info we are aware of scam artists are capable of and are very concerned about how this will be addressed. Should we be concerned? Can someone verify if the owner just made a simple mistake on the site?

November 21 2013 - Maywood

I agree with my colleagues here, 100%!  Contacting a realtor is the best way to avoid being scammed.  Find someone who understands you and your needs and someone with whom you are comfortable working.

February 03
There are a lot of scammers on these sites!!  I know it's tempting to find a home yourself but it really is best to call a Realtor.  If you believe it's a fsbo you can check addresses via tax records or drive by before submitting info. Sorry this happened to you. 

You should be a little concerned. This sounds like a scam listing and you need to be careful if the "owner" contacts you for further information, asks for money or you start getting emails from your "bank/credit card company/mortgage company" in your inbox.

You can verify the owner through your local records office, but if there is no house there--no records will exist on Zillow or locally. The FTC has information that might help you in spotting and protecting yourself from identity theft.

Right now the "owner" has some information on you, but is missing key information needed like SSN, birthdate, account numbers to do an easy scam. My advice is to watch your credit reports and not provide personal information if asked by this "owner".

If you can give some info (by email to me not on a public site) i can do some digging for you assuming the house in question in in Bergen county. I should be able to help

A good reason to deal with a Realtor and let them send you real listed homes.
Many scammers online these days.