Profile picture for JJOMalley62

How do I know if an apartment is legal?

The landlord keeps emphasizing that the apartment I'm interested in is legal.  However, in order to make my present apartment legal, the ll had to install overhead lighting in the bedroom.  Also I don't have access to the FUSE box in the new apt.  How do I know?
  • January 26 2010 - Valley Stream
  • 0

Definately ask the landlord to show you the permit and you may want to check with your local public records department.

To me it sounds like the landlord is saying the unit is legal to rent.  Mening the property has been zoned for multi-units.  That does not mean it it up to the current occupancy standards.  You can call the city and ask them about the overhead lights and access to the fuse box.

Your landlord should have a permit that is issued by his town. Ask to see the permit number and then call your Town Hall and see that it is registered.

I am not sure, but I think New York state requires a "Certificate of Occupancy" for rental units. You can contact your State code enforcement office here to see if your potential unit has one or requires one in that area. Their phone number is at the top of the linked page. Hope it helps.