Profile picture for Hersheykiss13

How do I know if my realtor is really trying to sell my house?

Home has been on market for 3 weeks with 1 showing.  Realtor says the price may be too high.  Next door (identical house) just sold for asking price (4K below ours without a garage) with seller help.  Are we THAT far off to make people not look?  Personally, I think the photos are bad and should be redone.  I had to demand that he remove some of them because they were so bad.  He blamed me for rescheduling twice so he couldn't get in a professional.  Ok....My concern is that this agent has given me many headaches and I wonder if he is even doing what a good realtor should be doing.....and I'm not sure what that is exactly!  We also had to make a homemade for sale sign to put on the main street because he placed his at a place of business and they took it down (I guess).  I could go on and on....I had to ask for a copy of our contract 5 weeks after we signed it and our listing on their website is just showing as null in the description because he had canceled our open house, but forgot to update it online.  We had to call the "team leader" to get it shut down on the Friday before.  It never got changed on Zillow so my husband and I conducted our own open house.  I'm really just getting fed up with being a babysitter and having to do part of the marketing and showing myself.  I feel the agent is getting plenty of commission so he should do his part.  

July 01 2013 - Harrisburg

Make sure you know what upgrades and concessions the neighbor may have/accepted...
Make sure you have the Realtor do Monthly Market Updates...
Make sure you have the Realtor be accountable for all follow up on showings etc...

We have found that when we list a house the first thing we do is of course have pics taken and put it on the MLS.  Then we take a nice flyer around to every real estate office and town and leave a few on the coffee table, break room etc...We always try and have an agent open house soon afterwards and of course Zillow and our own website and a mass email to all other realtors.
Real Estate agents have to be self motivated and yes there is a substantial amount of commission as a reward.  And like Laurel said "we wear many hats" its all about the energy level and self motivation the agent has. 
Call your agent and ask them to have an agent open house and ask them to please send out a mass email with your listing and for them to CC it to you so you can see who it was all sent to, this should help.

I took a trip to the Hershey Plant when I was younger, I like the Hershey Kiss street lights!  Are they still there?

HersheyKiss,

Ok.  Your scenario does sound, well, exasperating!  You did state that you are not certain what your realtor should be doing for you to market and sell your home.  I think I will begin there.

Realtors are charged with the duty of communicating with their sellers.  We are also educators (and sometimes psychoanalysts & marriage counselors,!  LOL) enlightening our sellers to the realities of their market and teaching our buyers how to purchase a home.  We wear MANY hats.

Your realtor probably prepared for you prior to listing your home what is known in the business as a Certified Market Analysis, CMA for short, where he provided you with a reasoned suggested price point by comparing your home to those that have sold recently in your area with similar amenities, size, neighborhood, & school district as yours.  He does not set the list price, but is to have guided you in doing so.

Marketing of a home consists of trying to reach as many potential buyers as possible within a geographical location in the hope of having them come to see and ultimately buy the home.  This is accomplished mostly via online marketing in the regional MLS and various online sites such as Zillow.

Directional signs are helpful, but one must adhere to the township rules regarding them.  In Derry Township ( I see you are a "HersheyKiss" so perhaps a resident of Derry) directional signs are only permitted prior to an open house and must be removed promptly after the open.  Every Derry realtor who has been around for a time has lost a directional or two to the "sign police" in Derry.  It does seem things have relaxed a tad in recent years, but the rule remains.  Additionally, if placed on a corner, permission must be granted by the owner of the land.  This is because the owner is responsible for removing the sign and replacing it each time he mows, something some owners find objectionable.

Open houses can be advertised on the listing on Realtor.com, Zillow, Trulia, etc.  Print advertising is also available in the local paper, but I have found it to be a waste of money as 95% of my open house traffic stems from online postings of the open house and directional signs.

You asked whether being even modestly over priced can lead to reduced traffic.  The answer is "yes" especially in this still anemic market.  Pricing and condition are  acutely important to successfully procuring a buyer for your home.  The extended 4th of July holiday coupled with the extreme heat has slowed home buyer traffic to a trickle.  The fear of interest rates continuing to rise has spurred some buyers to get off the proverbial fence and make an earnest effort at finding a home.  I have seen an uptick in traffic since the 4th and I believe it is because of interest rates. 

I suggest you heed your realtor's advise and adjust your price to catch this, however modest, uptick in buyer traffic.  Price adjustments automatically send your listing out to those buyers who have your home's price range in their search criteria.  Realtors also send out emails to any agent who has shown your home prior to the price reduction notifying them of the new, improved price.

Selling in a weak market is very trying.  Patience is the order of the day and a bit of tenacity is helpful.  Having your home in spit-spot condition is imperative.  Spiff up your curb appeal, paint out the vibrant colors, clean, declutter, and then clean some more!  Remember pricing it attractively and having it in top notch condition is key to getting your home sold.

I hope this helps and I do wish you all the very best!

Marketing is key to getting people to look at your home. If your agent isn't doing a good job, I suggest you look into terminating your listing agreement and finding another agent. Read the terms of your agreement, there should be language that explains the termination process if you aren't happy with the service you are receiving. It's always a good idea to interview a least a few agents before choosing one to list your property with; and choose the one that demonstrates  the best quality marketing and service plan. 

I'm sorry you're having a difficult time with the sale of your home.  If you're not satisfied with your realtor after having asked him/her several times to take care your sale much better, you can check your contract and if you had signed a form authorizing the broker to represent you, you can ask the broker to ask another agent in the office that can assist you much better or you can cancel their services by cancelling the relationship in writing and use another broker.

If you're unsatisfied with the performance of your agent then as a consumer it is your right to request a meeting with him so that you may address your concerns.  If you feel he isn't living up to your expectations, then you can try escalating to his broker.  The next step beyond that is to look for another agent and terminate the contract (legally) that you have with your existing agent.