Profile picture for lindyp28

How do I list my house for sale by owner, without having realtors calling to sell it fir me?

I want to list my house, but am not real savvy on the computer and I have messed up royally. My email is Linda.[deleted by Zillow moderator for consumer privacy]
  • June 26 2013 - Mount Juliet
  • 0

Profile picture for Datsme
Did your house get sold? How did you make out? 

I understand the concept of FSBO i,e, commission,
Bear in mind that agents and brokers also do not get paid for their time, advertising, gas, etc in marketing your house. The only time that agents and brokers get paid is when the property is sold. 80% of the FSBO ended up listing with a real estate broker/agent.

Now if you really think that you can market and sell your house without the help of the professional, I wish you Best of Luck! Just make sure you have a lawyer once you get an accepted offer to help you with the legal documents. 

• June 25

Dear Linda:   Tomorrow will be one year from the day you asked the question.   I hope you have been successful and can report back as such.

I wonder why an agent  pulled it up a year later to suggest your approach was wrong.  Oh well.  Timeliness has different definitions.
  • June 25

May I ask a small question? Why would you not want a professional to help you sell your home? Do you know that the majority of qualified, pre-screened buyers are working with agents in the Nashville area right now? Do you know that around 50% of FSBO's fail due to financing and contractual issues. Abraham Lincoln once said, " He who represents himself has a fool for a client". I won't beat this dead horse anymore but when if I see "agents don't call" I respect the request and understand that the agents that person has dealt with in the past failed to show value for their services. I wish you the very best
  • June 25

If your number is on the Federal Do Not Call list it is illegal for agents to call you unless they have a bon-a-fide buyer in tow.

The can be fined $11,000 and would anybody want to deal with a person that breaks the law at first contact?
  • March 02

Profile picture for YOLANDA CASTRO
Greetings! Did you have a successful sale? Please share your be experience with us.
  • March 01

If you don't want Realtors to call you, then yes you messed up royally. Posting your email and phone number will be taken by many of them as an open invitation. I'm guessing you're getting slammed with calls about now. Plus, the Mt. Juliet market is pretty hot right now so agents see a quick buck to be made, with no disrespect to any of them.

Here's a thought. List your home with a real estate company that will allow you to continue trying to sell your home for sale by owner. That way it will show up as listed with a Realtor and according to the Code of Ethics all Realtors must abide by other agents should not continue to solicit you. I know of a company that will list your home and continue to let you sell it yourself and won't take any commission if you are the one who sells it. That might fit what you are trying to do.

In order to post your home on Zillow as a FSBO, you'll find detailed instructions in the Zillow help center.

Step1: claim your home
step 2: edit it and write a good description (warning: keep saving edits if this takes time as there is an approximately 15 minute time out window).
Step 3:  add photos
Step 4: after it is perfect, click on the post for sale/rent button on your home details page.   If you see a typo or upside down photo, you can go back and edit it at any time.

If you don't want agents to call, remove the check mark from "will work with buyers' agents".

Posting your phone number and E-mail in a public forum are a great way to get a squillion phone calls and E-mails that you just said you don't want.