Profile picture for slight65

How do I make up a contract when selling my house without a realtor?

• February 08 2014 - Russell
  • 0

Well, Sunnyview, perhaps you will re-read my previous answer.

You hire a lawyer.

Email me I can send you the sample forms and disclosures!

"I am on the side of - consult with an attorney."

Sure consult an attorney if you want to, but I trust the Kentucky Real Estate Commission to vet the forms for their state. Pity you don't. Next thing you'll be telling everyone not to trust the EPA form.

The forms may or may not be difficult, but understanding them may be, and so might enforcing them.

A contract is supposed to document a "meeting of the minds," and as we know, a decent-sized portion of the questions asked on these boards are about contract issues: can I keep the earnest money? will I lose my earnest money? 

I am on the side of - consult with an attorney.

The Kentucky real estate commission has a real estate sales contract on their site for free. They also provide a Kentucky real estate disclosure form for free. Be sure to add the Federal EPA lead disclosure booklet and have your buyer sign a an EPA lead disclosure form stating that they received it.

Honestly, you don't need an attorney for boiler plate forms. If you want an attorney to review the state approved forms, you can hire them just to do that and save a lot of money. Boiler plate real estate forms are not difficult or complicated at all. Hope the links help.

Your best bet is to hire an attorney that handles real estate closings. In Connecticut you need to use an attorney for all real estate closings, however I know states differ. The typical cost ranges around $600-$700.  They can also chime in to assist if there are inspection issues or other hurdles. I also highly recommend at least speaking with an accountant so they can assess your transaction and how it affects your financial situation. It is definitely doable, but I wouldn't suggest going it alone. One small mistake could have drastic consequences. 

If you are using an escrow, you can ask them...

In a for sale by owner situation in my opinion you should at least have an attorney do the paperwork to make sure both parties are protected.  The cost should not be to bad and then you can be sure that everything is in order.

Profile picture for Outer Banks N C
A cocktail napkin can be used if you both agree to the terms on it. A contract is a meeting of the minds and as long as you both agree there is very little you must have. Contact a real estate lawyer and they will take care of it.

That can be a daunting task.  If you don't use a REALTOR then you need to get an attorney to draw one up.  You can try the Big-Box stores for generic forms but if for any reason you end up in court the judge will dismiss you before you can say "boo".

This reminds me.  Do you have all of the required disclosures?  What are the rules in your state about Radon?  How do you deal with lead paint?  Each year the consumer protection rules get tighter and tighter.   If you get sued do you have Errors & Omissions Insurance?  It is not covered by your home owners policy

Good Luck