Profile picture for TimothyCollins8

How do I report a scam?

There is a property I was looking to rent. The red alert lights started flashing when the "owner" explained he was in the Philippines and needed money wired to him. So I checked it out more closely... until recently an elderly woman lived there and is now living in a nursing home. So I asked the renter about it and his response was "Oh, that was my late mother." For being dead, she is very talkative since I talked to her last night... So this is a scam... How do I go about reporting it?
  • August 29 2012 - Green Lake
  • 1

Best Answer

Sounds like the well worn overseas rental scam. You can post the email address and phone of the scammer in this thread so that people googling can find it and avoid it easier.

You can flag it as a scam using the "Edit" link under the home photo and "report problem with listing". There is an option in that menu to report "rental scam". Zillow will remove it ASAP.

lol Maybe they should renamed it the Hollywood rental scam. First you see dead people, then they call you beyond the grave to get you to wire money. Thanks for the best answer and for reporting the scam so others can avoid it.

Profile picture for TimothyCollins8
Thanks - just did what you suggested. Red lights went off when the "owner" said he was in the Philippines, more red lights went off when he approved my application within seconds and the final red light went off when I talked to his dead mother... And I don't live in a movie starring Bruce Willis and a spooky kid...

Profile picture for nwhome.us
Timothy, did you know that the NWMLS shows rentals also?
No scams, well organized rental listings.
contact me through my profile if you'd like to receive email alerts in a particular area.