How do I research what bank holds the foreclosure on a house?

I found a home on Zillow that stated it was a"foreclosure" but there is not a for
sale sign on the property nor any identification of what bank owns it. How do I research the name of the bank that holds this foreclosure?
  • August 05 2013 - Destin
  • 0

Depending upon the county you can search property appraiser records to find the owners name. Once this is obtained you can then go to the clerk of court records and search for Lis Pendens status which show when the foreclosure process was initiated. If a foreclosure is imminent you will find a motion for final summary judgement. Within this document it will list the foreclosure sale date. Within all of these documents it will list the lender that is the mortgage servicer or note holder. Other option is to contact a realtor in your area that is proficient. With foreclosures and they can research for you.

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
it could also be that the home is in foreclosure and has foreclosed but there is some paperwork reason why it is not yet listed. 

I've seen a house sit for 2 years AFTER foreclosure before it was listed and I've seen a house get listed 3 days after sheriff sale.

contacting a local agent to help you put a watch on that house is a good idea, they can help you research it as well, but what you are asking about should be visible on public records.
that doesn't mean it won't change hands, these banks trade assets around - and sometimes it might not ever get listed, for example,
I currently have a property assigned to me by a nationwide bank, but last spring they decided instead of selling this one for pennies on the dollar they would rehab it and do a military donation, so next week the rehab is scheduled to be complete and it will soon be given to a wounded warrior and never listed for sale.

so, for best results, ..check public records and contact an agent that works with REOs in your area and ask them to help research it too

Profile picture for MoveWithKim
Zilllow is not always right. The home may not be a foreclosure at all. I have people call me all the time about homes listed on here that sold months or even years ago. Your best bet is to ask a local Realtor the status of the address. If a bank has taken it sometimes you can see that in the county appraisal district records but those don't always update very quickly.