Profile picture for Miss Dinale

How do I send you an e-mail for pete's sake? There must be someone minding the store !

There are no @#$%^& details . I simply want to be able to e-mail the folks at zillow !

In this case frankly with a wake-up call rather than a full-blown complaint perhaps .
  • May 21 2010 - East Lyme
  • 0

Best Answer

Believe me, Miss Dinale, I couldn't agree with you more.  I get a knot in my stomach the minute a potential Client tells me "zillow says the value of my house is xx."  In densly populated areas in the northeast, zillow is far from accurate.  In Las Vegas, where every house is the same for miles it's usually dead on.

Zillow is a completely automated process taking into consideration only details such as square footage, # of rooms, amenites listed but doesn't take into consideration condition or financial status (foreclosures, etc) within appx one mile of the subject property.  In this area, it's critial that a human assists in valuing a property.  A 3/4 mile proximity can throw a home valuation tens of thousands of dollars off if it enters into a different market area.  Historical significance really means nothing to zillow.  I'm glad that the company has finally decided to allow REALTORs to be contacted directly for accurate market analysis.

I've spoken to my rep at zillow about this because it's reallt a double edge sword for us.  Either my Clients come in with unrealistic over expectations or unrealistic under expectations (my house right now is appx $100K undervalued according to the zillow database).  Fortunately, it seems that you and your Mother both had competent REALTORs who knew the market area and was able to price both your homes appropriately.

Profile picture for Miss Dinale
Thanks John !   I guess I can forget about zillow being in the smallest way useful.   No matter . And yes , I expect that if I were an agent I would be frustrated to the pt. of steam coming out my ears.  It seems to me that all this cld be done better . Even here .   A human or humans after all created this site , wrote code for it , came up with however they come up with prices....my guess wld be Trudy , the Price Chicken .

She pecks randomly at the keys .  heh.

See you in the funny papers !

Profile picture for Miss Dinale
Sigh . OK . Here it is : my mother and I listed our respective houses with a broker from Sotheby's so this was simply for the hell of it , to potentially add yet more exposure. Or not , as it turns out .
The prices for 285 Old Black Pt. Rd. and for 38 Sea Spray Ave. here in East Lyme have nothing to do with reality , honest .
My mothers house alone has already received two offers for three million dollars which is well within the normal range for a house this old , this big and this close to the actual sea .
My house has received three offers that are well past DOUBLE what zillow seems to think it will sell for .
All of this is totally unsurprising to anyone who follows luxury and/or historically significant  real estate in the area .
So whomever , or whatever algorithm is determining the prices of at least THESE two houses is is completely , um , how to put this politely?
Nuts ? Incompetent ?
No doubt that falls within the purview , according to your good neighbor policy , of disrespectful.   Well , that's too dagnab bad .  It also qualifies as perfectly descriptive of the facts  .  Folks who join this site do so in the expectation of receiving information that is at the least moderately accurate  and since zillow is so outrageously off the mark in these two cases anyone would be justified in asking themselves where else it has fallen so short !
Whomever owns zillow might want to do something about that .

That's always an interesting question.  Depending on where you send your question, you'll get a bunch of REALTORs (like me) who only have knowledge of our local area.  Here is the link to Zillow's administrative team  http://www.zillow.com/corp/WhoWeAre.htm

Zillow isn't staffed to have people answer phones or emails.  They have a very limited staff.  Many people on this forum should be able to answer your questions and if not, we can flag your question and someone from Zillow will answer it. 

So what is your question?

Naima