Profile picture for Javan2010

How do I shop for the best rate and terms for a mortgage?

I am ready to purchase a condo in NYC -- sign the contract. Price is around 1.3 mil and a mortgage of 675k. High FICO score. How do I get real rates and closing cost estimates that  I can reliably count on? It seems that banks give you numbers on the phone but do not commit to putting them down in writing -- even the one that pre-approved me or the one that actually approved me for a loan 8 month ago (deal fell through).  It looks to me they always leave themselves a wiggle room and won't put things in writing. I understand that rates change daily but by looking at their websites I am never sure which rate I am being offered. Do I need to file actual loan applications with multiple lenders before seeing actual terms in writing?     Please advise  and thanks so much for your help. 

JS

• August 04 2010 - Upper East Side

To be honest with you the best thing to do is to contact someone such as myself. I can not only give you an honest estimate, I can review with you line by line your estimate so you can have an idea of which numbers can decrease and which numbers will remain the same. I offer free education so you know exactly what type of loan you are receiving and why.