Profile picture for 7gables

How do I show that my home has been remodeled so value is updated?

I just did major remodeling.  I want Zillow to evaluate these updates in their estimates.
The home is not listed.  Thanks!

January 21 2009 - Lees Summit

That is a good question. Unfortunately to my understanding zillow creates their price average on comparable sales and listing in the same zip code which does not take into account neighborhood differences or if the property is next to a shopping center or on a busy street.

Based on that there is no way for zillow to base a price on upgrades. Upgrades are also a little tricky for a few reasons. Are the upgrades appropriate for the surrounding properties or is it an over improvement? What kind of upgrades were done? Some upgrades keep their value more then others. i.e.. A pool is an expensive upgrade and does not yield a good return especially if it is in a small yard. Finally are the upgrades done appealing to people looking at the house? Everyone has different taste. 

Unfortunately in today’s economic times upgrades are worth less. Price is usually the bottom line for most buyers. There are people that are looking for a house with all the bells and whistles but they are few and far between.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions of would like to talk about this some more feel free to contact me.

Nice to see a new face on Zillow :) You can claim your house hereand then update your home facts here. It is quick and easy. Although you will see the change right away in your facts it may take a few updates for the new numbers to work into the system. you can include value for your remodel by creating an owners estimate, but the real value of those improvements will be decided by your buyer when you sell your house. Hope the links are helpful.