How do I start shopping for the right mortgage? I don't want my credit run 20 times...

My husband and I are starting to look for our first home.  Is there an easy way to compare rates?

June 20 2012 - Clarkston

I work in Rochester and would love to help you out. Check out my bio and give me a buzz.

I would look for a Realtor that specializes in the area where you want to buy. If you Google the city name plus "homes for sale", like "san ramon CA homes for sale", you will see a number of possible Realtors on the first couple of results pages. Read the web sites thoroughly and ask for referrals from the agent you like the sound of.

Another approach is to ask any Realtor you know for a referral to a REaltor in the area where you want to buy. Many of us network with other Realtors all over the country.

Most experienced Realtors will recommend two or three lenders you can talk to. Personally I think Mortgage Bankers are usually the best types of company but Credit Unions can be good as well.

Good luck to you

Bernard Gibbons

Profile picture for MandyMing
Ok, thanks everyone!

--how do I find a Realtor? I've already asked friends but haven't really found anyone.

--what about using mortgage brokers?

FYI it won't ding your credit to have multiple inquiries for the same type of credit in a 30 - 45 day span depending on the scoring system the credit bureau uses. 

I would look to certified upfront mortgage lenders and certified network lenders to do your online shopping. You can google both those terms and come up with some options. 

Cheers!

Ben

I usually tell my clients that a good place to start is where they bank. second is a credit union, they are usually much friendlier. Also do not pay anything for pre appproval. You should only pay for appraisals up front. 

Good Morning!  You can review rates online but there are so many factors that go into the rate.  I would suggest using a lender referral from your Realtor, someone they have a working relationship with.  You'll be more able to count on the information they provide and you'll be less likely to have issues during escrow.  Good Luck!