Profile picture for charbee

How do I stop all these realtors from calling me?

I posted a Make Me Move listing.  I thought it was anonymous and people would contact me by email if they were interesting in BUYING my home.  Instead I have a ton of realtors calling me, interested in SELLING my home.  We have a realtor - how do I stop the calls?  How did they get my number anyway?
  • April 24 2012 - Wheat Ridge
  • 0

My phones been ringing off the hook with nothing but Vulcher Real Estate Agents! I HATE ZILLOW! I listed my home For Sale By Owner for the obvious reason.  Zillow make's it nearly impossible to figure out how to delete or remove your phone number. Zillow is nothing but a troth of feed for agents to try & drum up business in my opinion.   

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Well that certainly clears things up

"If they posted they don't somewhere a year ago..2..3 they can always say/claim it's a mistake..they changed..forgot to remove old"

Doesn't seem to be a difficult thing to say/do so?...
THEY should respond and say it.... no doubts..it's stated
Why not..to busy, can't afford the staff to respond, not important enough to worry about?..Why not?

It is what the OP wants to know FOR SURE...No way Zillow did or would

Then this member of the Public (OP) and others have it Stated as a Policy/Practice from Zillow in Real Time they can use to protect themselves if it is not True......no doubts..it isstated clearly
BY ZILLOW

Profile picture for blank screen EXILED
"And it says "Zillow does not give your phone number or other information to agents" where?" -

In the "privacy policy", and  "terms of use".

Unfortunately, sometimes even when they post something clearly, it clearly doesn't mean what we thought they said... such as "Zestimates are done 3 times a week" (posted all over the site, in numerous discussion threads, and in the SCE-1A filings....), but they don't do them 3 times a week, they do them "nominally" 3 times a week, which means often they are only once or twice a week, and that some weeks get skipped entirely.

Profile picture for Dunes ..
This is what he Posted

"In an effort to discourage fraud we have implemented phone verification for all manual postings on Zillow and Postlets wherein only U.S. phone numbers and phone numbers that can be answered by a live person will be verified by our automated system. This is required and no option to hide this number for For Sale By Owner (FSBO) listings. I can suggest changing your FSBO listing to Make Me Move where you'll have an option to be contacted through email only.

To change it, you need to cancel the listing first by going to the home details page, hover over Edit and click Cancel listing. Once removed, you can go to the home details page again, hover over Post for sale/rent and click Set a Make Me Move price to post it as Make Me Move."

And it says "Zillow does not give your phone number or other information to agents" where?
Yes you have an option to not display your number that you do not have on Regular listings so it is implied (OP took it that way) but only implied not stated..imo it should be Stated in Real Time for the reasons I already gave

Zillow does not give your phone number or other information to agents..period

Doesn't seem to be a difficult thing to say/do so?...respond and say it
Then this member of the Public (OP) and others have it Stated as a Policy/Practice from Zillow they can use to protect themselves if it is not True
That's what this is about isn't it..Helping the Public?

The other reply to the Make Me Move phone number issue from Neil at Zillow is here. (Thumb to Connie)

Profile picture for blank screen EXILED
Well, I set a make me move on mine to reduce the Realtor calls, but I did that by setting the make me move exceptionally high, and raise it each time a Realtor calls or mails.

Of course I don't have my phone number anywhere on Zillow.  But they just get it from an electronic phone book, such as whitepages.com .  They just type in the address and get all that info.  Or from the county records, they just look up our names, and then look up my phone number by name.

There is not much that can be done to eliminate illegal unwanted solicitation calls.   When the Realtors do call, I just tell them that the house is already listed, and that if they would like to make an offer, they need to put it in writing.  (And then I hang up on them).  For the letters and cards, I usually just ignore them, putting them directly in the recycle bin.  But if they indicate they are on Zillow and got the info from Zillow, I send them an anonymous Email from Zillow, with the contact info their name and Email address, and remind them that they are violating Zillow's terms of use, and that no information on the site can be used for commercial purposes nor data farming, but only for PERSONAL use.

Profile picture for Connie Klemme

zillow responded on another thread just now that you can hide the number on a make me move listing.

Profile picture for Dunes ..
I still hope Zillow responds..imo the ball is in their Court until they do

Especially since if they Post in response..Zillow does not give your phone number or other information to agents...you have Legal moves you can make if that's found to be untrue that you do not have if they don't post it in response in (Real Time)..
If they posted they don't somewhere a year ago..2..3 they can always say/claim it's a mistake..they changed..forgot to remove old...)
and
Can't be held liable for what others post they do or do not do..the reason they handle Consumer/User Service this way imo

@ Connie...
Despite what many believe...I can read

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
@Tugs....

it says  "we have a realtor"
so....if it's already listed. then why isn't that Realtor posting it on zillow so THEY get the calls.  that's one of the points a agent typically makes  "i'll be the one taking those calls"

I still don't condone the calling of fsbo's begging for the listing. but it doesn't ssound like this case is a FSBO.   There may be another reason why the person's agent doesn't have the listing on zillow, or maybe they have a reatlor but not a listing agreement...don't know.  just suggesting that if they do have one...why not make them get the calls.

on a personal note.  I had my house listed as make me move before I officially listed it and my first sentence of the description was something like  "Realtors, don't call me to list it, call me if you have a buyer"

it seemed to work.

I understand your frustration. Unless you posted your number in your Make Me Move listing, Zillow does not give your phone number to agents.

You can tell the agents who call that you already have an agent if you plan to list. If you want to, you can offer to take their information and send them listing information or price changes on your property. You're the owner so the ball is in your court so you decide what you want to do.

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Good Questions..I hope Zillow responds

Personally
I wouldn't List my Property with an RE Agent to stop annoying calls from RE Agents who want me to List ;)

Profile picture for Connie Klemme

If you have a Realtor, they why not just have them list it on zillow instead of the make me move, you'll get greater exposure and they will contact the agent to schedule appointments.    this should be free for your realtor.

Otherwise, If you don't want your agent to list it, add to your notes  "This house is Listed with a Realtor"  it is a code of ethcis violation for a Realtor to contact the client of another Realtor without permission.   That ought to eliminate those calls.  Include it somewhere in the notes, will only reduce the calls by those that read notes -for others that farm and cold call...I don't have a good suggestion as you want to keep up the exposure to consumers that might want to buy your house so you don't want to eliminate the contact info all together.  

as for how they got your number, it could be that it is on your contact info (i didn't go look), or it could be that they just research the tax records etc.

If your phone number doesn't show up on your "make me move" listing, then most likely they used reverse number look up.

From reading comments from people who have used Make Me Move, it seems like >99% of the calls are from agents looking for business.   I agree with you, that seems highly annoying.    

If you are going to keep it up as MMM, put a comment in the description "no agent calls".