Profile picture for handmedownsue

How do I trade my home for another on disability?

I took over my parents property and then found I was to be put on disability. It needs a lot of work that I cannot do. I do not want to go to senior housing or an apartment but need another home I can handle. The property is in my name and I am paying on my mom's equity loan to save on a higher refinancing. She says that I can let it go into foreclosure if I cannot live here, but I would rather selling it and pay off her loan, and possibly have enough for a down payment on another home. How can I possibly do this? I would trade the house and property for a mobile home or small house with room for a garden and privacy. And I think my current property is worth the amount left on the equity loan with enough left over for the smaller property. Thank you.
  • January 27 - Jacobson

If the property is in your name, why not simply sell it, pay off the equity loan and the mortgage and then use the remainder for your next step? 

"trading" is far harder than selling because you have to find someone who wants to trade and whose home you'd like to have and who wants your home.   
  • January 27