Profile picture for Horning1

How do i get an accurate assesment of the home I am selling listed on Zillo?

My houes is not listed accuratly for size, bedrooms and of course price.
My house is 500 square feet bigger with one more bedroom and bath then my neighbor who sold their house for $250,000. Zillow has a zestamate of $183,000.
I want my house to reflect actual specs and a reasonable selling price.
You also show other houses on my block that are smaller with less bedrooms and bathrooms and unfinished basements as valued higher. Makes no sense at all!
  • July 11 2011 - Grayslake
  • 0

If there is not an option to claim your home on Zillow (which is necessary before you edit facts), you can chose "report problem with home" and chose the option that there is an incorrect owner claim.    Only after you've claimed your home can you edit the facts.

Zillow provides these editing tools so that the owner can make the home data accurate.  No protests are needed, just a few minutes with the system.

Profile picture for Horning1
I do not officially have my home listed on Zillow. I just heard buyers look at this site to guage where they might want to look at least as a starting point.
Zillow just has a bunch of garbage listed describing home and price. The only accurate thing is the real estate taxes.
I checked out the link to edit listing but it does not give me that options since I assume I am not officially listed here.
Is there a way to protest to zillow to make the inforation on my home accurate?
Thank you for the help.

Have you or your agent claimed your home and edited the home facts?   It takes less than two minutes, and the details are addressed in the FAQs.

Phillip is absolutely right.  It's a constant sore spot with sellers and agents alike.  I have several homes for sale where vital information is incorrect.  Like Phillip says though, most buyers do not use these "Zestimates" for anything other than to get a general idea of values.  Since over 95% of buyers who buy a home are working with an agent and agents know full well that Zillow has issues they don't use those numbers at all.  If you're interested I'd be happy to send you a study I did on Zillow that relates to this exact issue.  Of course I'd also be glad to give you an accurate pricing evalutaion. 

Good luck and I wish there were a way to change the information!
Mike Stodola

I see comments like these constantly on this site. I really do not know how zillow survives. These zestimates are frequently off base. The good thing is that no one really refers to them when getting serious about writing an offer. Don't worry about it
If you need to know a more accurate measeure of what your house might be worth ask a few agents to do a market analysis. They do not charge.