Profile picture for AmandaZook

How do i report a scam?

There is a person/persons on your site posting false rentals and have scammed my Fiance and I out of nearly $2000!!!! Right after this horribly event has happened I was on a different website and saw that the same person has posted the same house for rent again, the day after we found out that they were scamming people by using postlets.com.  I know that zillow and postlets are sister companies and was hoping that you would be able to take down this user!  The username they are using for this "clintonville home" particularly is pricepennye.  I really hope that someone from your company gets this message and does something about it.  According to the Ohio Generals office (which is just one of many states they are scamming out of) they get 250 complaints a week from these same scammers!!!  Please protect your people on this website and at least take this ad down, at the very least!  I am now scared to use any website that Zillow or Postlets is involved with and I hope one day that will change! As for now, I will not be doing any buissness with your company and will strongly recomend that none of my friends/family do either. There should be a way to prove the ownership of the home before they are allowed to post it for rent.  
I hope this message gets to someone in your company and I look forward to see if anything is done about this! 
  • August 05 2012 - Columbus
  • 0

Profile picture for GopalDas
[promotion removed by Zillow moderator]

Speculating as an outsider to Zillow, scamming must be so lucrative that the scammers are jumping through every hoop that Zillow and all the other internet sites implement to stop them.    I know that Zillow implemented another step for verification a few weeks ago, but the consequence is that a number of regular agents and individuals  are screaming loudly that it makes it too difficult (so that some have stopped posting on Zillow).  The scammers don't think it is too difficult.  I'm sure Zillow has more steps up their sleeves.

Scams have been around long before the internet, and there are a number of phone scams ("Grandpa, I'm stuck in xxx and need some money, could you wire me $2000? don't let my parents know") is a very common one at the moment (I've bumped into several grandparents who've had this phone call) as well as mail scams.  Always do due diligence.   I hope you took the opportunity to read the link I provided to Zillow's description of scams and internet fraud. 

Sorry you had to learn a lesson the hard way....never send money to anyone unless you verify who they are, and that they are legtimate......

did the so called owner say he was out of state/out of the country?....did he have a detailed explanation about why he couldnt show you the house?...............did he say you had to send money via Western Union?......

let me also guess that the rent seemed very reasonable..............if it sounds too good to be true, it isn't true!

the internet is the source of many scams..............consumers need to perform their due dilligence, especially where money is concerned.

Best wishes.......

Profile picture for AmandaZook
Thank you for your quick response.  My fiance and I have already reported it to the FBI, since this is a nationwide scam and not just locally (therefore the police can not do anything about it).  The Ohio Attorney Generals office has already gave us a follow up call and we are attempting to do all that we can.  Our money will never be returned and the bruise on our pride will take sometime to heal.  
I really wish that sites like Zillow, Postlets and many more start to do a pre-screening of the people who post on their sites.  It would be nice to feel protected not only on our end but on the other end as well.  
Thank you again

I'm sorry to hear of your situation.   Scams are wide spread on the internet, so please be cautious no matter what internet site you use for rentals.  

Here's a link to Zillow's FAQ on scams and internet fraud.

The way to report it so it is removed  is described towards the top of the document from the link above.   I hope you also reported this issue to the local police.