How do most new agents obtain leads?

July 19 2013 - US

Join a brokerage that gives them to you. Or join a team that will. I would not start paying for leads until you are trained and have the ability to close the leads as they come in. Otherwise you will spend a lot of money on leads you are not capable of closing. Start slow and focus on training. Once you are well trained you will be able to generate your own leads and you will be ready to rock and roll. Good luck!!!

Open house is the cheapest and most effective way to meet prospective real estate clients.

Regardless of promises made, I've received zero leads from any brokerage for which I've worked. That experience may be unique to me.

Many brokerages push high dollar, low value programs that will purportedly revolutionize your business. Don't fall for it!

The bigger picture is to rely on yourself and your own efforts to create business, not the brokerage. Advertise YOU, not the brokerage.

If you are a new agent, the best place to obtain leads are through your broker or company where you work. If they have a system to bring in new leads, then this is the best place to start. (Choose your office wisely, if you do not get these leads, it makes it very hard to be successful)

Once you have their leads, you can call on your "warm list", family, friends, people you see daily, weekly, monthly. As noted below, they are receptive to you and will help you.

Finally you have the "cold list" those people who don't know you are on earth to convert oxygen into carbon dioxide. You can mail to them, market to them in broadcast efforts, buy their name from a list, so many ways to reach them, but typically, unless they have a NEED, they will drop your info in the garbage.

So start with the inhouse leads, warm leads next and cold leads if you have nothing else to do.

Best of luck to you,
Liz

you get them from everywhere.
open houses, talking about real estate with people you know,  letting everyone know that you've started a career in real estate, getting out and meeting people, wear your name tag in public, you name it.
I've gotten leads from stopping at garage sales and having casual conversations about a dog or flowers, or whatever it is that you might talk about.  and then of course there is always the headlock that Chris mentined.  ROFL!! 

For me it was through Open Houses. I did Open Houses every Saturday and Sunday without fail for the first few years in business. When people came through I would introduce myself and offer to show them other comparable homes. If that didn't work I put them in a headlock.

When I first began as an agent my first sale was to my ex-husband (go figure that out). Could not live with him but could sell him a home, second sale was to my boyfriend, then my ex-brother in-law, then my dad. I only sold to family at first as I was a little shy to get rolling. But my first outside leads were obtained by working the front desk answering phones. Then when I felt comfortable enough, I went door knocking and was successful at getting short sale listings. Eventually I had enough clients to get repeat business and referrals. Some farm with title companies, I do not. I choose not to farm but would highly recommend it. Just sold postcards work too.  Good luck!

The most common way new agents obtain leads is by contacting the "center of influence". What that is, is people you already know such as friends, family, neighbors, acquaintances. Good luck!