Profile picture for ctio

How do sellers hire Realtors? It's your investment. Hire the best!

I am sometimes quite surprised that sellers don't ask certain questions when hiring a Realtor. Then they wonder why their home sits on the market, don't get proper service or return phone calls and lose potentially 1,000's of dollars. As a full time Realtor for 14 years ranking in the top 10 percent, I let sellers know that. Ask the agent this. 1. Do you have another job part time? If so and a buyer wants to see the home while you're working another job how will that occur? 2. Why do you have a 2nd job? 3. What type of expense so you put out to market? 4. How many settlements have you had in the last 90 days? 5. What hours is your office open in order to schedule showings? ( just today on a Saturday I tried to schedule a Sunday showing for a buyer and could not get thru to the agent or selling office. I wonder if that seller knows). 6. Can you do a mock negotiation now on a repair issue that neither party will budge on as well as a price offer that is 3,000 apart? My clients have always loved my aggressiveness and ability to negotiate the best deal and get to the settlement table smoothly. I had an agent tell me they will not micromanage their client to get the deal to the table. I disagree fully. You must be on top of the lender, title and buyer to meet deadlines. If you want a mock presentation, I'm ready! Are you??
  • October 12 2013 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for CallTheSisters
Janet

Is this a thread to ask a question or start a discussion? 

Profile picture for Rada Ann Labe
Interest in selling your  home?  It's probably your biggest investment so check out 2 or 3 realtors.   You'll be impressed with one of them, and if you're not, call a few others.  I've been selling so long, I will spend the most time talking about pricing your home, rather than myself and my company.   Everybody's different.  I'm always here to help... service and success! 

Profile picture for ctio
Rada I agree with you. I think it only takes five minutes to talk about you, your skills and experience. Then on to pricing. I do not do a 2 hour presentation with pictures and prefabbed charts and words. But I do feel those first five minutes are crucial to know who will be selling the home. To Sisters comment. Not sure what your talking about or why it's important. Im posting about important real estate info and questions for sellers.

Im posting about important real estate info and questions for sellers.

Hey Janet - The point is - your un-solicited post comes off like self-promotion. ie 'My clients have loved my.....' This advice column, unlike Trulia and Activerain is mostly buyer and sellers ASKING questions and you answering them, FYI.  You'll make a lot more friends here if you keep the self-promotion toned down here - save it for your blog....  Just my 2 cents....

"I had an agent tell me they will not micromanage their client to get the deal to the table. I disagree fully. You must be on top of the lender, title and buyer to meet deadlines."

I'm sorry, but that's my personal nightmare...in heels?

As the seller's REA, you're going to be hammering on the buyer's lender? Really? And, you're also going to ride herd on the buyer? I bet the buyer's REA must be thrilled when their client calls with the "what's up with this?" phone call.

I get that some people may like the idea of an uber-aggressive advocate for their side of a deal. Personally, I think there are better, and more professional, mechanisms to insure that a transaction moves forward.

BTW...
 - "top 10 percent" of what? Your office? Your company? Your city? Your state?
 - "top 10 percent" in what? Listings? Closed transactions? $$$ closed? po'd buyers?

Numbers, without context, are meaningless.

So your point is that one shouldn't hire a part time agent?

Or.... I'm not really sure. 

Maybe I just don't understand NJ speak (southern NJ at that). 

Profile picture for Blue Nile
"...ability to negotiate the best deal and get to the settlement table smoothly" -

If you really do what you claim, it sounds like you are "in the wrong profession".  No client needs "negotiation" by a 3rd party, nor do buyers nor seller "want" a 3rd party making any decisions "for them".  But they really need your help in Washington D.C.  The House and Senate are completely unable to get to the "settlement table" smoothly under any conditions.  They don't even seem to be able to get there in any manner at all, let alone "smoothly".

Obviously, if they got there "smoothly" everyone "loses" as such "smoothness" implies everyone's needs and desires were ignored and never addressed.

No, I don't want to go to pretend acting school in order to teach you how to act.

Very important to interview numerous agents to ensure you are getting the best representation possible.

-  I had an agent tell me they will not micromanage their client to get the deal to the table. I disagree fully. 

I disagree with both of you! Well, let me step back from that. I know that there are all kinds of people out there, and some of them want a bulldog, some want a lap dog . . . the point is, no agent is perfect for every client, and the great thing about being Independent Contractors is that we are free to seek clients who want us to work for them.

No disrespect intended, but..........most people here ask questions and wait for answers...or post useful information..................your post offers neither.....and is more of a personal billboard and self promotion - certainly not the beginning of a discussion, nor does it offer useful advice (imo).....not sure it even works as a blog, but that's the better place for it

Your first 2 questions/suggestions........regarding having a 2nd job or why someone might need a second job, etc........are silly
Why not just state you think only full time agents should list and sell homes, because that's clearly what you think?
(see Wetdawgs - I speak Jersey speak, so I get it - haha)

And, suggesting that a consumer ask an agent to do a "mock negotiation on a  home inspection issue" is ...laughable(again, imo).

If those are your ideas of how one should interview an agent............you might want to go back to the drawing board, and start over.

And, seriously - claiming one is in the "top 10% ranking" of something unnamed just looks like slick sales talk  mixed with some pixie dust .....

Profile picture for Blue Nile
I'm giving Debra a thumbs up on that post..., especially the part about "laughable"... and "pixie dust".

Hint to Janet:  Debbie Rose has provided a superb example in her years in Zillow Advice of a good way to participate that works for even professional people from NJ.   Her posts are all public information, open her profile and explore her history.

Well said Debbie Rose!   I was hoping my favorite expert in jersey speak would come along.

I'm in the top 10% too, in many categories.  Almost all  of them are secret to this forum.   Perhaps the size of my grizzled black schnoz is in the top 10%.    (You micromanage me and you'll discover my fangs are still sharp under that grizzled schnoz)

I'm grizzled enough that recollect the training of feminists in professional team play the discussion of the huge difference between aggression and assertiveness.  One is effective, the other isn't.    It isn't the one the OP chose.

P.S.  I noticed that 18 months ago you said "11 years experience" and now it is 14 years.   Is this the new new math being taught in the schools?

Profile picture for Blue Nile
I'm sure that someone told me that I shouldn't be aggressive with an agent when the agent is "down"?

I'm in the top 10% of many categories too, such as number of posts on Zillow, number of threads responded to on Zillow, number of threads created on Zillow, Make me move amount on Zillow, ability to find "work arounds" for problems on Zillow, charts posted on Zillow, interest rate change predictions on Zillow, number of Real Estate agents hung up on, animated images in posts on Zillow.... such as:

But really, why would anyone want a selling agent representing them known in the area to be so "aggressive" that the listing agents don't bother to answer the phone calls, and don't bother returning the phone calls, so that the buyer's representative cannot get any showings in a timely manner?  There are a lot better choices, so if we are told to choose the "best", the original poster moved down about 3000 places on the "priority list".

(But I've never seen the "best" of anything as I can always find "better" for specific criterion...)

I'm sure that image posted is an "example" of the "mock presentation" that the agent offers her potential clients...  Not a "smooth way" to close a transaction in my mind.

thank you for the kind words  Wetdawgs  - much appreciated

It's funny that you made the distinction between being aggressive and assertive, as many years ago my manager was handing me an award at a company meeting, and he, too, made the same distinction between those 2 traits........he described me as  "assertive when necessary,  but never aggressive"......I always remembered that.........and remembered being pleased to hear him describe me in that way as, to me, aggressiveness has a negative connotation, that I, personally, would  not want to be associated with.

To each his own I guess............

Profile picture for Team Forss
Yes, we always recommend that a seller interview several Realtors before selecting someone to Sell their home.  Any Realtor will put a yard sign, lockbox and put it on MLS, but who can create more demand?  What type of marketing is offered and what type of performance guarantees are offered? What's the Realtor's track record and experience? 

Profile picture for CallTheSisters
Janet:
To Sisters comment. Not sure what your talking about or why it's important. Im posting about important real estate info and questions for sellers.

By now you should have gotten the point reading the comments you have received. "Be a Good Neighbor. Be respectful and on-topic. No spam or self-promotion!"

Your post was not supplying valuable information for sellers nor did it generate any questions from sellers.  It was purely self-promotional.

Three simple words "No Self Promotion".  How many words are in a real estate contract?