How do we know if a post is a scam

I saw a posting for a 3 bedroom 2 bath home for rent for $800.  That evening it was no longer listed for rent but that it had been recently sold.  I tried calling the contact number that morning, I did not receive a call back. The address is 3918 SW Vesta St, Portland OR 97219. What can you tell me about this property. I was able to make contact with someone by email but unfortunately it extends the character amount allowed.  We did drive by and look at the property.  It is empty, but there was no for sale sign, sold sign, or for rent sign.  How should we proceed?
Thank you
  • July 16 2012 - West Portland Park
  • 0

Whenever you smell a scam, you should avoid it all together. The best rule of thumb ever invented is if it is to good to be true, then it is not true.

Things to watch out for are the following.

1) Anyone asking for money
2) Anyone with a story about not being in the area
3) Anyone who is unable to arrange for a professional to meet you and let you into the property in question
4) google the phrases a suspected scam artist is using and most likely you will find a similar posting since they are using the same phrases for every scam
5) google is your friend, and I am glad, because he is my best friend too.

It looks like a scam to me just based on the rent for that area. I would look for another place instead. Rental scams are rampant. There are tips here to avoid scams.

According to MLS listings, that home sold 6/15/2012.  It's a 2172 SqFt 3 BR 2 BA home, so doubt that it would rent for $800.  It would be at least twice that at today's rental rates - figure between 75 cents and $1/SqFt. 

At best there's some confusion about it being for rent.  At worst it's a scam.  If it's a scam they'll want a cash (or cashier's check) deposit from you before they supposedly will give you the key.   They'll have all kinds of excuses - most common is they're out of the country. 

If it sounds to good to be true ($800 to rent a $2172 SqFt home) it probably is. 

Have you seriously sat down with a mortgage broker to see what it would take for you to buy?  Mortgage rates continue to be a historic lows.  If you need the name of a good mortage broker, call or shoot me an email.