Profile picture for pinksandbaby

How do you feel about track lighting?

Our house is a typical NE Colonial and we have this hallway off the kitchen that houses the washer and dryer (behind bifold doors) a slop sink, and a powder room at the end.  The hallway is fairly long, and the lighting is horrible.  I was thinking of replacing it with a track to light up the different areas.  There is an overhead recessed light in the laundry closet and same for over the sink.  The hallway itself has a hideous brass/etched glass fixture w/ one bulb.

What do you think of the new track lighting?  I was saw one that wasn't too modern in style, it looked like a long brach (dark brown in finish) with 4 lights on it.  Opinions?

• October 15 2008 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for Mike_oxafloppin

1st.   track lighting in a colonial ?

2nd.   track lighting?

lol  

I'm not a big fan of track lighting and usually tend to shy away from it with the exception of modern styles. recessed lighting is nice in certain applications such as kitchens where the effect of focused light is used to highlight a particular feature.

For what your talking about ( without seeing it or knowing the style of your home)  I would probably lean towards something like this

http://www.lightinguniverse.com/products/view.aspx?searchTerm=stained glass&family=150037

or

http://www.lightinguniverse.com/products/view.aspx?searchTerm=stained glass&family=180948

Profile picture for pinksandbaby

Profile picture for Mike_oxafloppin

nothing wrong with it but not what I would choose though it is one of the nicer ones I have seen. figured out your going to mount it ? the can light wont have an standard electrical box to mount to. your going to have to blank it off and use a retrofit electrical box  nest to the orginal hole. unless your recessed light happens to be very small ( about 3")

blank

Profile picture for pinksandbaby

The place where I'd put it (in the hallway part) has a regular semi-flush mount fugly fixture.  No special fittings needed i don't think.  It's not recessed.

This is the one I was referring too

Profile picture for julia111

Me and my sis just bought fixtures exactly like that for her palce at walmart for $33 each. she has a 1942 craftman style home with lots of wood. So its a bit dark.

That light fixture works out fine, because it mounts to a standard box, and it has halogen ( sp?) bulbs that throw off tons of light. She used one in a hallway and mudroom. It looks good.

Profile picture for julia111

*place*

Profile picture for pinksandbaby

Like the first one or the last one I posted?  The area I want to put mine is sort of a mudroom... but really just a hallway w/ laundry, sink and hooks for the kids coats.  It leads to thje bathroom.  That bath is a whole 'nother ball o'wax.

Profile picture for Bette Defarm
I'm not a big fan of track lighting either and IMHO if your home was built before the 50s I think it will look badly out of place, that said...Anything goes in an utility area and the emphasis especially in New England is on function. Function always trumps design here :)

Profile picture for julia111

The last one you posted. We bought those

about 3 weeks ago at the wallymart.. I like the pretty light they cast.

they would work good in a kitchen too.

Profile picture for pinksandbaby

Bette, the house was built in 1989.  It needs lots of bringing up to date.  Personally I am not a fan of track either, but I thought this had a more natural look to it (which I like), and the hallway has no windows.  The bathroom does, which helps, but I want to paint the long wall in there w/ chalkboard paint and put up cork for messaging.  With 4 kids and activities, etc., I need a place to have everything written down and pinned up.  This would be fairly out of sight, but not so out of sight that I'd forget to look at it lol.  The 4 lights could be aimed in different directions and really light it up better than a single IMO.

Profile picture for pinksandbaby

I'll check that out Julia, thanks!

Profile picture for julia111

Sounds like you're in brass light fixture hell.

Been there done that.LOL!

We had to change every fixture in this house..Its better now..:)

Profile picture for pinksandbaby

Trying to post a pic... it's just NOT cooperating!!!

It sounds like a good idea to me. Anything that increases the functionality of a home appeals to me. And I like to see what I'm doing.

I agree with SpecTater.

Here are a few brainstorming ideas-

-recessed 4" cans (NOT 6"- too big for a hallway)

-wall-mounted sconces (would be a great option for our style home, too)

-recessed lighting in the crown moulding. it would cast a glow and offer just enough light

-Art lights on your portraits/art if you have any in the hallway. it could cast ambient light.

Unless a hallway has high ceilngs (12", possibly even 10") or the end of the hallway terminates at an end point where you want a focal element (like a pretty fixture above a table, or a fixture to suspend and draw attention to a niche)...I shy away from semi-flush mount fixtures. They lower the ceiling and kinda clutter up a narrow space when there are too many fixtures dotting the ceiling. You can get away with flush mount, but the clutter aspect (or, too much repitition) does concern me in regards to hallways (this depends on how long it is, too).

Profile picture for workabee
Don't like track stuff myself. How about recessed down the hallway instead with a dimmer?

I'd try sconces.    Track is already dated from the moment you pay the cashier. 

Profile picture for blank screen EXILED

Track lighting has a place; but it is primarily for when you plan on changing the lighting regularly.  It makes sense in some cases for lighting art-work on walls.  I have a beam in my livingRm separating the "den" that used to be a bedroom prior to the two main bedrooms being added in 1924.  I placed a nice small track on the side of the beam and did concealed wiring from above to an electronic dimmer in the wall with two remotes at the other doors.  I change the colors, I change the aiming; it is really nice for halloween decorating, and also allows focused task lighting for special activities.  Also makes a nice portrait photo area.  The one overhead light in the living room was not sufficient by itself.  and the track is mostly concealed due to the beam.

If you are doing art work down the hallway; maybe track would work for the artwork; but I wouldn't; and the artwork tends to stay in the same position, so recessed eyeballs may make more sense.

If your hallway is dark and the light is near one end, I would just add an additional one near the other end.  I would stick with a clear glass globe with metal trim (brass, depending on other hardware??), flush mount to the ceiling.  If you can find a nice fluorescent, it will save on energy costs.

OR.....  T2 linear fluorescent down the entire hallway mounted in a cove or on a molding ledge within 6 inches of the ceiling?

I'd go with recessed or sconces over track lighting - having said that, the one you chose has doesn't turn me off.  Given your thoughts on making this hallway a mudroom/family organization area with the chalkboard idea, lighting is key. And so, if the one you chose is the best option to get the light you need, I think it has enough of a traditional feel to it to work.

Good luck.

Profile picture for pinksandbaby

Well thanks jfeenick, that makes sense.  In looking at what I'm trying to accomplish in this odd space this type of lighting seems to make the most sense.  I would consider multple recessed lighting, but we're trying to do things ourselves and that cannot be done by us lol

Profile picture for Tam_Tam

I'm not into track lighting at all, but sometimes you have to do what is needed to make the place funtional. Looks without funtionality just makes for an unhappy homeowner.

I would think track lights are out of character with your home. I would do more recessed lights if you need spot lighting. In fact, I barely ever use track lighting - even in modern interiors. It's a little 70's/80's.

I would consider tracks in a restaurant or industrial space. But it's not what I first think of.

Profile picture for Mark Storolis
Be classy.

Solution: Heavy crown molding, 10" from ceiling. Linear halogen lights above molding. Sconce effect. Cost < $200.

Profile picture for pinksandbaby

oh lawdy mark.e.... I have 4 children.  Sex-ay and Class-ay are for the boudoir...  I'm looking for utilitarian usage here... it's a mudroom/laundry hallway.

I do see your point of course, but I can't have this hall be nicer than the rest of the house lol

Profile picture for Mark Storolis
Let's do sconces then. If the solution over-head is too overpowering, think to the sides.
And if you are ultra utilitarian you could use those push-button night lights with the adhesive backing.

Profile picture for supercub

Pinks, what is the height of your ceiling?

Profile picture for pinksandbaby

markie, you're silly.  I've just installed the Clapper... case closed.  I'm ALL ABOUT Classy...

Profile picture for pinksandbaby

supercub, 7ft-ish.  The reason I was not going for the recessed IS... dum dum dum duuuummm.... I wanted us to do it ourselves.  We do NOT want to start making holes in the ceiling and wiring lol

I haven't done anything with it yet (Clapper aside ;oP), so if we do the whole thing at once I may have an electrician install something else...

Profile picture for supercub

I was just thinking that there are some neat florescent fixtures, long as you want, that hang down about a foot or so and reflect back up and off the ceiling. I'll see if I can find an example.

Profile picture for pinksandbaby

Thanks supercub!  If you find a pic, post it please... I'd like to see that :o)

1. 1
  2. 2