How do you feel when a listing agent asks you to pay for the negotiation fees?

As a Certified Short Sale Specialist and a HAFA Certified Specialist, I have been negotiating my own deals since this crash began. I don't understand why agents take the short sale listing, hand the file off to someone else and then expect me to pay for it. I would rather you hand me the file and let me do the work and get my full commission. How do you feel about this?

March 30 2011 - Norco

I think the whole thing is completely wrong when it comes to these fees, where they go, and where they come from. Most short sales I've been a part of involve someone calling the negotiation fee something it's not, or hiding it in seller concessions, or something along those lines.

Do negotiators bring value? Yes.

Should they be paid? Yes.

Should it be completely legal and up front as to how they are being paid and by who? YES

This could be just in my area, but there is a lot of cleaning up needed involving these fees.

Actually, the sales commission is paid to list, market and negotiate for the sale of the house - not to facilitate/negotiate a short sale. This is another monsterous job and should constitute an additional fee. A Realtor who specializes in short sales knows that you can't do all the work yourself. In order to run your real estate business like a business, it is necessary to leverage yourself and hire administrative assistance. The additional fee charged to facilitate the short sale covers this additional expense of the business.

Think of it this way...
You own a widget sales business. Your business is good but the market has shifted and you need to also polish floors. You wouldn't have a sales price on your widgets that covered the floor polishing business. They are 2 different jobs.

When representing a buyer, many times we have no choice.  The negotiator is already in place and the fees are set.  If this is the house that my buyer has his/her heart set on, we've got to move forward.  We just try to get the bank to cover as much of that fee as possible in the form of a "closing cost credit."

I've always negotiated my own short sales as a listing agent.

Amazing.  If a listing agent can't handle the short sale and they hire a negotiator then the negotiator should be paid by the listing agent.  You were hired to do a job..do it or pay someone to do it.  Don't expect someone else to pay!

Profile picture for wehelpubuy
Nice, make the client pay the cost of something the agent should be doing.  I can't believe you'd admit that in a public forum.

We usually roll it into the closing costs.  The bank and the buyer end up sharing the cost of the negotiator.