Profile picture for G.Jane Dostou

How do you place a lien on a property that has not been legally registered with you as half owner?

My cousin,Brian Corey gave my mother Jane Flynn the house on 186 French St Fall River MA 02720. She gave it to me. I had just started a new job for Miller Beer and was not their long enough to have a sufficient credit history. I asked my sister and her husband whether or not they wanted to go in as partners. They agreed and as my brother in law dealt in the financial area, I foolishly put my trust in him. Now it is 30 years later,they have put the house in hock and are trying to screw me out of what is morally mine. I have always paid all the bills for this home-accept for the ones they took out for themselves.What can I do?
  • March 22 2012 - Fall River

Profile picture for Darcy.Logan
I second MikeEmery's advice.  Based upon your contributions to Zillow on this property over the last few years, it's obviously been an emotional issue for you for quite sometime.  Sometimes, it's hard to stay rational in a highly emotional situation.

Try to focus on *concete* details to prepare for a meeting with an attorney and then go consult an good attorney.  Collect copies of documents that will build your case...perhaps copies of your Mom's will (or the manner in which she gifted property to you), copies of tax bills in your name and checks you paid the taxes with.  Build your case.  If you can't make a case, you probably don't have one.

Frankly, if what you have been saying in your posts is accurate, it's surprising you allowed it to deteriorate so dreadfully while you have been living in the property, especially as a "silent" part owner, so plan on explaining that as well.  Some questions come up in my mnd when I read this post and then a few of your others about your story ... It appears that this is a duplex property and you don't mention if you've lived in the property the entire time and if your sister and brother-in-law (I'm assuming the Zammits?) also live there?  Has it been a rental property since your mother gave it to you?  Why did your mother leave the property to you and not include your sister?  If your mom gave you the property, why did you need credit to keep it?  Do you see what I mean, there are some questions that come up when one digs into your posts. 

On the bright side, if the property is as awful and worthless as you say it is in your other posts and you are not on the title, at least you don't have the liability and disclosure requirements the owners have on a transfer.  It sounds like it's not worth anything or very little, so you aren't losing millions.  You may want to count your blessings and move on. 

Good Luck, go see an attorney and let us know how it turns out.

Call an attorney. No one here is qualified to provide you with legal advice, nor will any attorney give you legal advice in this forum (due to liability issues).