How does Zillow plan to limit mis-use of their site?

I'm really getting disgusted with everyone who is putting their rentals up on Zillow as "For Sale."  I'm looking at buying, and it makes it very hard to weed out the rentals from the properties for sale.  It makes it more difficult to use this site, and the mobile app accurately. What can you do about this?

September 21 2012 - New York

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Zillow like many people is good at planning, excuses for and blah blah but weak in the actually doing anything department

Wouldn't hold my breath waiting for things to change

The issue is that for the syndicated listings, Zillow does not support having a property listed both for sale and for rent, thus for some odd reason, if it is "both", then the "for sale" tag is syndicated, but the "rent" listing amount is syndicated.  This specific problem is a bit of a challenge for the programmers to addresses.  Zillow cannot control what is posted on other sites.

And for the Realtors that intentionally advertise their properties "wrong"?  Well, supposedly that is why they pretend to have a "code of ethics".  You should just report them to their local board and their state licensing department, and possibly their broker (though the brokers usually have a good idea already of what their agents are doing).

I'm looking in the New York City Tri-State area, where it's possible to find homes both for sale and for rent at, say, $25,000.  I set my minimum filter at $10,000, and common sense rules out most of the rentals.  For instance, the 8 bedroom house on the shore probably isn't for sale for $40,000, it's probably the price for a summer rental.  However, the point isn't my effort in ruling these out, but the misuse of posters to begin with.  Because otherwise, what is the point of having filters at all?

As a user, I find it quite simple to weed out the miscoded rentals.   I simply put in a minimum value in my price search.  Since doing that, I've not seen a single data entry goof.