How does a joint mortgage work?

My wife and I recently got married and are looking for our first home. We really want to keep it cheap as we don't make a whole lot of money, but it is more affordable than renting in our area.

The issue is that I have excellent work history for the past 10 years or so and make approximately $24,000/year. I've also filed for bankruptcy about a year and a half ago, although things have been going fine since then and my credit score is 640 now.

She has almost no work history, only 6 months of work experience ever and that was about six months ago, but she has good credit (730) and just this week got a job making $25,000.

I'm worried that me existing is going to ruin our chances at getting any sort of tiny mortgage. We're looking at used mobile homes for now and therefore only want to finance about $30,000 or so.

Thanks for any assistance

• February 26 2013 - Clinton
  • 0